Thread: How to find what is causing the long booting time using bootchart

Beans

Question How to find what is causing the long booting time using bootchart

Hey This is my bootchart http://screencloud.net/v/Btva . The thing is am not an expert. I need someone who is really expert in this to tell me whcih apps or services that are causing the delay and how can I improve the booting time disabling them

thanks

P.S am using UBuntu 12.10. Specs are:

amd A6 Quad core processor

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: How to find what is causing the long booting time using bootchart

Well , fist of all I'm not an expert but I tended to experiment allot with such "tricks" in past.

There is a reason where the startup applications are hidden. You can make your system unbootable or unusable very easy if you disable the wrong application.

Is really the 1 min and 10 secs a long boot time ?
    For me , no is not. Except if you use an SSD .

A suggestion could be to try some things fist in VirtualBox. See here about VB=> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox
    then when you are sure about what you are doing , you can apply to your actual installation.

PS: Recently I broke my system with such experiments, and is not the first time
    but this system (I have) is for such things , experiments.

Beans

Thanks NikTh. Actually that's a really good suggestion. I am downloading virtual box now

and I said the same thing. 1:10 is good. But when I tried asking here :

[REDDIT] the majority of the laptops/PCs are booting in less than 15 sec O_o. But some of them said they have an SSD.
    Last edited by ghostrecon; November 18th, 2012 at 09:12 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

It looks like i686? So that is 32 bit version? But that really should not matter.

I never understood boot chart, but review dmesg logs and look for any entry with error, repeated tries and then either timeout or later success. or just long times between entries.

My rotating drives usually were about 40 seconds. Even though my SSD says 10 sec, BIOS takes about 10 sec & grub another 5 so it is between 20 & 25 sec total.

I also find mounting NTFS partitions slows boot time a lot. And if you have issues with NTFS flags set - like needs chkdsk or hibernated that can slow boot.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

yea 32bit.

Ok. I disabled dropbox and now booting time is 45 secs with grub menu being disabled and autologin enabled.

I tried hibernation instead of normal shutdown and the hibernation made my boot time around 25~30 secs. :-/