Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to play MKV video

Beans

Unable to play MKV video

Hi,
    I am using Lubuntu 12.04. I am not able to play mkv files in my VLC player. The audio works fine but the video doesnt show. Please help.

Beans

Re: Unable to play MKV video

Can you post one of the problem files online somewhere?
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

It's a movie file. And its definitely not the file that has the problem, because I cant play any file in mkv format. I have tried quite a few with the same result. Only audio, no video.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by hiranyaroma View Post
    It's a movie file. And its definitely not the file that has the problem, because I cant play any file in mkv format. I have tried quite a few with the same result. Only audio, no video.
    What video player are you using to play the file? If you can try a different player like VLC as this will come with the most common codecs for video and audio playback out of the box.

EDIT - I didn't read your first post properly. You may need to install the packages 'lubuntu-restricted-addons' and 'lubuntu-restricted-extras' (in a terminal just type in 'sudo apt-get install lubuntu-restricted-addons lubuntu-restricted-extras' then press enter, then enter your password then enter again and keep on pressing 'y' when you are prompted).
    Last edited by willbe1kenobi; June 8th, 2012 at 10:13 AM. Reason: see EDIT

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by willbe1kenobi View Post
    What video player are you using to play the file? If you can try a different player like VLC as this will come with the most common codecs for video and audio playback out of the box.

EDIT - I didn't read your first post properly. You may need to install the packages 'lubuntu-restricted-addons' and 'lubuntu-restricted-extras' (in a terminal just type in 'sudo apt-get install lubuntu-restricted-addons lubuntu-restricted-extras' then press enter, then enter your password then enter again and keep on pressing 'y' when you are prompted).
    Lubuntu restricted extras and addons are already the newest version. I have installed both the packages. Will this help?
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683
    I tried downloading medibuntu repo, but the terminal showed an error saying that a self signed certificate has been encountered.

Beans

Have you tried any other players? I've found smplayer with mplayer as the backend will play just about any Matroska file I've thrown at it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

What are your computer specs?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Have you tried any other players? I've found smplayer with mplayer as the backend will play just about any Matroska file I've thrown at it.
    I have tried the default player in lubuntu (GNOME MPlayer) with no luck. After you suggested, I also tried smplayer. Unlike VLC this doesnt even play the audio.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MartyBuntu View Post
    What are your computer specs?
    Computer Specs:

Memory: 2 GB
    Processor: Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 180 × 2
    Graphics: VESA: MACH64GM
    Video card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Rage XL
    OS type: 32 bit
    Disk: 250 GB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Is there any error message that is given to you by the program like saying certain codecs/libraries missing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast