Thread: Gnome Classic visual glitches Ubuntu 12.04 Precise

Beans

Gnome Classic visual glitches Ubuntu 12.04 Precise

Hello ubuntuforums, I recently installed ubuntu 12.04 on my desktop, I started out with ubuntu 10.04 so gnome classic was the desktop environment of my choice, I dislike unity and gnome 3 isn't my cup of tea so to say.

After I installed a package called gnome-panel to enable gnome classic I went on to try to get my eyefinity setup to work, without success. I must have done something I should not have done though since my gnome classic setup now looks like this:
    http://i.imgur.com/6XHwl.jpg

I have disabled my two other monitors and I have reinstalled gnome-panel, I also restarted numerous times but this thing doesn't go away. Please help

//Kurten

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Gnome Classic visual glitches Ubuntu 12.04 Precise

Quote Originally Posted by Kurten View Post
    Hello ubuntuforums, I recently installed ubuntu 12.04 on my desktop, I started out with ubuntu 10.04 so gnome classic was the desktop environment of my choice, I dislike unity and gnome 3 isn't my cup of tea so to say.

After I installed a package called gnome-panel to enable gnome classic I went on to try to get my eyefinity setup to work, without success. I must have done something I should not have done though since my gnome classic setup now looks like this:
    http://i.imgur.com/6XHwl.jpg

I have disabled my two other monitors and I have reinstalled gnome-panel, I also restarted numerous times but this thing doesn't go away. Please help

//Kurten
    It sounds like you mixed two different packages from two different releases. May I make a suggestion. If you don't like Unity, why not try the new release 12.04 of XUbuntu or LUbuntu, or even Ubuntu Studio. I don't know if you are into media, but the Studio version of Ubuntu is geared toward Video and Audio. It loads the software for this plus it has a very nice desktop with the panels. Sorry I couldn't be more help with your problem.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Or maybe trying Cinnamon.
    Question Everything

Beans

Thanks for the replies.

I don't think the distro is the problem since I have the same distro and the same package running on my laptop and it works perfect. I think the problem has something to do with me messing around in AMD's graphics controll panel and the screen setup somehow caused the menus to go crazy. What I need to know is how to fix this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yeah, sorry, I don't know much about this problem to fix it. You'll have to wait for another user's input. Good luck.
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Boot to the grub, run in Recovery mode, then run FailsafeX and reconfig your Graphics.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.