Thread: How to install new themes on Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Red face How to install new themes on Ubuntu 12.04

Hello people, please could tell anyone a newbie like me how to install new themes and where to get them?
    Thanks in advice, Mr-Bledi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: How to install new themes on Ubuntu 12.04

There are loads of themes on http://gnome-look.org/ . Category GTK3 for themes. Most themes usually comes in a tarball, so extract the tarball into /usr/share/themes (if you want the themes to be available to all) or ~/.themes (if you want it to be available for you only). Note that ~ is your home directory and you may need to create the hidden .themes folder if you don't have it.

Then install a tool like myunity (available in the repos) and it will allow you to change GTK themes (which will change the look and feel of the windows) and windows border/Metacity themes (which will change the titlebar)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you are using 12.04 use Gnome 3.4 themes . That will be indicated in the theme description.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans

thanks everyone!

Beans

i wanna copy paste this bridge folder to the usr/share/themes, that included themes inside but it says to me that i don't have permissions, so i thought to go into themes folders to properties to change the chmode to 666 or something, but it says that i'm not the owner, what to do?? THANKS!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Do not chmod anything. That folder is owned by root, so only root can modify it. You can open the file manager as root:
    Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    and do your work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There are some nice themes here;

http://www.webupd8.org/search/label/...max-results=10

install PPA's at your own risk! I have installed these without any problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by MrBledi View Post
    i wanna copy paste this bridge folder to the usr/share/themes, that included themes inside but it says to me that i don't have permissions, so i thought to go into themes folders to properties to change the chmode to 666 or something, but it says that i'm not the owner, what to do?? THANKS!
    Just put the new themes in the the hidden .themes folder in home. Install myunity from the software center and use it to select the theme you need.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

But what if you don't like and won't use unity? It appears as though all the themes for 3.4 are usable only in unity. What must I do to use gtk-2.0 style themes such as clearlooks in 12.04? What commands will enable the use of other themes besides the 4 that pack with the upgrade?
    12.04 precise.....