Thread: Dual booting windows 7 with ubuntu

Beans

Dual booting windows 7 with ubuntu

I am trying to dual boot windows 7 with ubuntu 12.04 and thought this would be straight forward so must be doing something wrong.

I have cut CD's 32 and 64 bit and tried to install both in separate installs to see if the result would be any different but get this error 'Unable to find a medium containing a live file system'. Please advise.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Dual booting windows 7 with ubuntu

does your computer support USB boot? Reboot and take a look in your BIOS to see if you can boot from a USB drive. You can then proceed to making a Live USB (instead of a live cd) and try to boot that.
    i5 2500k @ 4.4 GHz | MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | Gigabyte GTX 570 (OC) 1280 MB GDDR5 | Alpenföhn Himalaya | Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB CL9 RAM | Be quiet! Straight Power BQT-E9 700W | NZXT Lexa S | Monitor - ASUS ML248H 24"

Beans

These appear to be the boot options
    Internal CD/DVD Rom Drive
    Notebook Hard Drive
    !USB Floppy
    USB Diskette on key/USB Hard disk
    USB CD/DVD Rom Drive
    !Network Adapter

I have tried 'USB CD/DVD' Rom Drive but got the same error message, will now try 'USB Diskett on key/USB Hard Disk' and see what happens

Beans

probably when u have a bootable usb device plugged into ur system, the boot options would change and the name of the bootable device would be displayed there. try doing so

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by bencouve View Post
    These appear to be the boot options
    Internal CD/DVD Rom Drive
    Notebook Hard Drive
    !USB Floppy
    USB Diskette on key/USB Hard disk
    USB CD/DVD Rom Drive
    !Network Adapter

I have tried 'USB CD/DVD' Rom Drive but got the same error message, will now try 'USB Diskett on key/USB Hard Disk' and see what happens
    i am sorry i lost track of your thread...

anways here comes the (a bit late) explanation on how to proceed:

your PC does support usb boot, so thats good.
    Usb CD/DVD means an external CD/DVD drive, which you would connect using USB (which, ofcourse, you do not have so ignore this)

First you will need to prepare a USB to make it bootable. To do so go here http://www.pendrivelinux.com/univers...easy-as-1-2-3/ and download the universal USB installer. Plug a USB drive into your PC and run the program. Choose the 12.04 iso and follow the steps onward to make the USB bootable (do not choose persistance, you wont need this!).
    After you are done, reboot and go into the BIOS.

You will set USB hard disk as the first option and let it boot. From here on you should somehow get a live session running, if not write another post explaining what happend.

regards
    i5 2500k @ 4.4 GHz | MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | Gigabyte GTX 570 (OC) 1280 MB GDDR5 | Alpenföhn Himalaya | Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB CL9 RAM | Be quiet! Straight Power BQT-E9 700W | NZXT Lexa S | Monitor - ASUS ML248H 24"

Beans

Just like to thank Basher101 for his help. I am typing this message from my new Ubuntu install. Though am running the OS from the USB device. Have not done an install onto the hard drive yet. Am concerned about overwriting the Windows 7 OS.

For anyone reading this and wanting to improve on the documentation found on the internet relating to a Ubuntu install then please include the part about making the usb bootable, as am pretty sure it will help.