Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12.04 - Will not update nor download packages

Beans

Exclamation 12.04 - Will not update nor download packages

received the following error when checking for updates:

W: Failed to fetch gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_precise-updates_main_source_Sources hash sum mismatch, E: some index failed to download. They have been ignored or old ones used instead.

This is a fresh install inside VirtualBox VM

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 12.04 - Will not update nor download packages

Run the following command in the Terminal:

Code:
    $ sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* -vf
    $ sudo apt-get update
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Okay, now I get the following on most of the get requests for security:

Err http://security.ubuntu.com precise-security/restricted i386 Packages 404 not found [IP: 91.189.92.166 80]

and at the bottom it says

E: some index failed to download. They have been ignored or old ones used instead.

Beans

1. First confirm that you are able to browse other websites.
    2. Then, run these commands:
      sudo mv /var/lib/apt/lists{,bakjune5}; sudo mv /var/cache/apt/archives/partial{,bakjune5}; sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade;
    3. If above commands run successfully fine you can remove the above bakjune4 directories safely. Otherwise change the download server using Update Manager. Follow this: Update Manager -> Settings -> Ubuntu Software (first tab) -> Change the server in Download from box. Run check for updates and install updates if any.

Note:
    In any case you can revert to your current situation by using following commands:
    sudo rm -r /var/lib/apt/lists /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/; sudo mv /var/lib/apt/list{bakjune5,}; sudo mv /var/cache/apt/archives/partial{bakjune5,};
    Last edited by ~!geek!~; June 5th, 2012 at 12:55 PM.
    I use rss feeds to view recent posts. So generally don't go back to the thread I posted on earlier. If u wish to criticize me or want me to try a bit more to help u by postin on ur thread(r post), pls message me directly with link of the post. Thanks

Beans

Exclamation Re: 12.04 - Will not update nor download packages

I did so and it didn't resolve the issue and then I changed servers and got the two following errors:

bzip2: Data integrity error while decompressing

&

W: GPG error: http://archive.ubuntu.com precise-Security Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG 40976EAF437D05B5 Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing Key <ftpmaster@ubuntu.com>
    (when doing apt-get update)
    __ ^ no longer get that

continued to apt-get upgrade and got bad header line for all the updates/grades
    Last edited by bigoops; June 5th, 2012 at 12:50 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bigoops View Post
    I did so and it didn't resolve the issue and then I changed servers and got the two following errors:

bzip2: Data integrity error while decompressing

&

W: GPG error: http://archive.ubuntu.com precise-Security Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG 40976EAF437D05B5 Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing Key <ftpmaster@ubuntu.com>
    (when doing apt-get update)
    __ ^ no longer get that

continued to apt-get upgrade and got bad header line for all the updates/grades
    Oh I am sorry! The commands I mentioned above missed semicolons. (bad formatting) I changed them now. So could you now try them by replacing bakjune5 by bakjune5-2 in all places and see if it helps.
    I use rss feeds to view recent posts. So generally don't go back to the thread I posted on earlier. If u wish to criticize me or want me to try a bit more to help u by postin on ur thread(r post), pls message me directly with link of the post. Thanks

Beans

I noticed the lack thereof semi-colons so I put them in Separately. (not a COMPLETE noob )

Beans

Nah, Still getting "Bad Header Line"

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

can you confirm that you are able to use a browser like firefox (is it a dns issue ?)

Beans

Yep, Google, Youtube, Facebook, All Load.
    So no DNS Issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast