Thread: Webmin - File System Backup Error

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Webmin - File System Backup Error

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to take backup of my files on server using Webmin Filesystem backup, but I am getting this error message -

Code:
    tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
    tar: /home/serveradmin/backup/designers: Cannot open: Is a directory
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    backup is a backup directory with 777 permission. How can I take backup using Webmin filesystem backup module?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Webmin - File System Backup Error

By default, tar removes the leading / on filepaths. For example /home/rubylaser would end up with the member name of home/rubylaser. If the leading / wasn't removed, tar would end up taring to the same location as the original. Also, does the directory you're trying to backup contain a space anywhere in the filepath?

You have a couple of options:
    1. Add the -P option (--absolute-names) to your tar command so that it will archive relative to the root path.
    2. cd to / first, then run your tar command.

Sorry, I don't use Webmin, so I'm not sure what options Webmin filesystem backup gives you. At least you know what's causing the problem now
    Last edited by rubylaser; June 5th, 2012 at 12:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rubylaser View Post
    By default, tar removes the leading / on filepaths. For example /home/rubylaser would end up with the member name of home/rubylaser. If the leading / wasn't removed, tar would end up taring to the same location as the original. Also, does the directory you're trying to backup contain a space anywhere in the filepath?

You have a couple of options:
    1. Add the -P option (--absolute-names) to your tar command so that it will archive relative to the root path.
    2. cd to / first, then run your tar command.

Sorry, I don't use Webmin, so I'm not sure what options Webmin filesystem backup gives you. At least you know what's causing the problem now
    Thanks for the response. That's what I am thinking about, how can I take the backup using webmin module, or is there any way to manually modify that webmin backup module.

Beans
    Distro

From looking at screenshots on Google, it looks like it supports an extra command line parameters option that you could use to add the -P option.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rubylaser View Post
    From looking at screenshots on Google, it looks like it supports an extra command line parameters option that you could use to add the -P option.

Thanks for pointing that, I almost overlooked that part. I will surely try it tomorrow.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks rubylaser, that done the trick.

Beans
    Distro

Great, I'm glad to hear it Please mark the thread as solved with the thread tools at the top of the page.