Thread: iwconfig shows high Tx excessive retries

Beans

iwconfig shows high Tx excessive retries

When I first installed Ubuntu I was having some major wireless connectivity issues (hanging for 20-30 seconds trying to load a page) which were resolved by disabling the power save mode on my wireless card (other people with the Intel Centrino Wireless N 1030 reported issues with power management on). In my research for that issue I was lead to believe that the stat Tx excessive retries in the output of iwconfig was something of an indicator for that.

Now that I have set it to Power Management Off I have no issues with loading webpages, but my Tx excessive retries number is still very high. Through a half hour of web browsing it will get up to around 300,000. I can still hit my internet connection's full speed while performing a download. Is that something to be concerned about (increasing the possibility of corrupted downloads, possibly?) or is that a fairly normal number considering I am living in an apartment with a number of other wireless connections in the immediate area?

Thanks in advance and let me know if I can provide more details.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm really wondering if this is normal considering the conditions (many other wifi networks in the area) or could it be a problem with my laptop/router.
    Last edited by raptir; June 4th, 2012 at 08:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: iwconfig shows high Tx excessive retries

Please try this temporarily:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r iwlwifi
    sudo modprobe iwlwifi 11n_disable=1
    Any improvement?
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Well, that solved it. And it works with power management enabled now. What can I do to make that change permanent?

Also, is that a Linux-specific bug, or is it an issue with the Intel wireless regardless?

Edit: I do still get some "Invalid Misc", but it's intermittent and ~50 on a 50 MB download. I take it that's normal?

Beans
    Distro

Well, that solved it. And it works with power management enabled now. What can I do to make that change permanent?
    Please do:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf
    Add a single line:
    Code:
    options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1
    Proofread, save and close gedit.
    Also, is that a Linux-specific bug, or is it an issue with the Intel wireless regardless?
    I don't know much about those other operating systems, but I believe it's Linux-specific. You might add to a bug report here: http://bugzilla.intellinuxwireless.org/
    Edit: I do still get some "Invalid Misc", but it's intermittent and ~50 on a 50 MB download. I take it that's normal?
    Pretty much; I get a few on my iwlwifi card that otherwise works fine, too.

Please use thread tools at the top to mark Solved. The searchers will appreciate it.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Thanks again. Marked as solved.

I did notice that my wireless interface is now wlan1 instead of wlan0. Is there any way to restore that? I'm guessing it won't break anything if not.

Beans
    Distro

I did notice that my wireless interface is now wlan1 instead of wlan0. Is there any way to restore that?
    Sure. You can carefully edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and immediately reboot. If in the slightest doubt, post it here and we'll help.