Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: xfce vs lxde which is more stable?

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

xfce vs lxde which is more stable?

Hi everyone. I've just installed lubuntu 12.04 a few days ago and more ore less I'm happy with lxde. But from time to time once/twice a day pcmanfm and gnome mplayer (maybe some other app as well) crashes. Therefore I was thinking about switching to xfce. So the question is why do this crashes occure? Can it be that using my /home partition from previous installation (Ubuntu 10.10) with all setting from gnome causes the problem? If not, is xfce according to your experiences less buggy? Thanks for suggestions, bye

Beans

Re: xfce vs lxde which is more stable?

lxde is basically openbox + some standard apps is it? (correct me if I'm wrong) Cannot imagine that's unstable or buggy.
    Try starting the crashing apps from a terminal window and wait for the crash to occur.. maybe the output in your terminal window gives some usefull info..
    For me Xfce is stable as well..
    Also it may help to delete/rename the settings-folders from crashing apps, so new and clean setting-files will be created. With every new version of apps setting-files may change, simply moving /home/* to the next version of Ubuntu will cause problems eventually.
    Last edited by kellemes; June 4th, 2012 at 08:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have never tested lxde, but have been using xubuntu 12.04 on 2 machines for a while now.

I am very happy with it. Has not crashed once yet. Have lost sound a few times, but reboot helped with that,

The only mildly annoying bug is that sometimes ( = 1-2 times a day) mouse graps a window, that is being clicked. And wont release it before I click (or double-click) again.
    Similar than moving a window by pressing Alt and right-cliking on a window, except that the window wont be released when you stop pressing the mousebutton...

Hope that will be fixed soon

Some others are experiencing the same problem.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1908474

Just want to say. I am very happy with xubuntu and I recommend you to try it too.

Beans
    Distro

thanks, hmmm maybe I have problems because of old /home folder, how could I erase all unnecessary stuff (old settings...) could I delete all hidden folders, I mean the ones starting with a dot. Or is it better to create a new user and copy my current data there. Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro

dont delete all those dot folders.
    some programs wont like it...

Better to make a new user

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

There is no correct answer to your original question. Both are stable and are used by people for various reasons. Occasionally settings from a previously installed version have caused problems That is not the rule but rather the exception. I have used both Lubuntu and Xubuntu and have settled on Lubuntu. It is fast even on an older system with less RAM. You have to consider what you want to do with your computer.
    As to deleting the .folders, I don't think that is a good idea. Which applications are crashing and under what conditions? If there are just one or two, it is better to deal with them individually rather than trying to remove a wart with a machette.

Two finger slow typing gets beat out again.
    Last edited by Rex Bouwense; June 4th, 2012 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Additional information
    Rex
    Ubuntu Arizona LoCo Team - The Hottest LoCo on Earth
    Arizona LoCo |Arizona Team Wiki|Arizona Launchpad

Beans
    Distro

XFCE 4.10 is a bit buggy for me but 4.8 (xubuntu) has been really solid.

I like lxde but if you have the resources to run xfce I don't see why you wouldn't.

Beans
    Distro

There is no correct answer to your original question. Both are stable and are used by people for various reasons. Occasionally settings from a previously installed version have caused problems That is not the rule but rather the exception. I have used both Lubuntu and Xubuntu and have settled on Lubuntu. It is fast even on an older system with less RAM. You have to consider what you want to do with your computer.
    As to deleting the .folders, I don't think that is a good idea. Which applications are crashing and under what conditions? If there are just one or two, it is better to deal with them individually rather than trying to remove a wart with a machette.
    Thanks, I understand what you mean, but my first impression was that lxde is buggy. That was a wrong or at least unjustified assumption, however all I want now is a much as possible stable desktop. I'll try to create a new user and see if this solves my issue, thanks again.

Beans
    Distro

LXDE is a newer project than Xfce. In fact it "borrows" a lot of code from Xfce, but it's Openbox (Window Manager) base is very stable. It's the stuff they've put on top of Openbox that is less stable, but lots of folks use it trouble-free.

On my computer LXDE (on minimal Ubuntu) was buggy and crashy, while on a friend's PC it was solid and trouble-free. I use Xfce (Xubuntu 12.04) now because nothing ever crashes, it's lightweight and fast, and offers considerably more configurability than LXDE does. It's trouble-free on my aging hardware. As long as it doesn't tax my hardware heavily enough to slow it down, I'll keep using Xfce.

So the real question is, "which is more stable on my hardware?" And the only way to find out is to try them both out.

I discovered and adopted LXDE's file manager. I find that PCManFM simplifies things for me even more than Thunar (the Xfce file manager), and I like the Leafpad editor. So I mix 'n' match a little bit of LXDE with my Xfce.

Beans

If you run an application from the Terminal, it will provide more output. If/when an app crashes, you can use the Terminal error messages to troubleshoot why it crashed.

Ubuntu bugs are tracked on Launchpad: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs
    So you can search if other users have experienced the same crash, and if not, file a bug report.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast