Thread: How to only allow localhost VNC ("desktop sharing") connections in 12.04?

Beans

Question How to only allow localhost VNC ("desktop sharing") connections in 12.04?

In older releases, there was once an Advanced tab in the Remote Desktop Preferences Dialog (per this older tutorial: http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/..._Linux_Desktop), but now (12.04, perhaps recent releases too) it is renamed Desktop Sharing Preferences and only the basic settings remain.

Because I only intend to connect via SSH tunnel, I wish to deny all but localhost connections for security's sake. How do I access the Advanced settinsg? (Or at least, how do I set the deny localhost preference?)

Beans

Re: How to only allow localhost VNC ("desktop sharing") connections in 12.04?

according to this link you can just type:
    Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.Vino network-interface lo
    i have done that, but need to wait until i am away again to try it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

it worked for me once I changed the comand line to

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.Vino network-interface local
    is it some king of bug? did I really narrow connections from local network computers?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by fabianofcarlos View Post
    it worked for me once I changed the comand line to

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.Vino network-interface local
    is it some king of bug? did I really narrow connections from local network computers?
    According to Ubuntu bug #275340 the "Localhost only" feature was removed from Vino, probably because it wasn't working properly. This features has indeed been replaced by the "network-interface" option and setting that to localhost should indeed limit to connections from localhost only. As mention in the upstream bug by Jonh Wendell:

local_only preference is now obsolete. Now you are able to select a network interface which vino must listen to.
    However, the bug I linked to talks about setting "network-interface" to "lo" instead if "local". But they are using "gconf-editor" and the "network-interface" option is missing there in Ubuntu 12.10. Using dconf-editor, however, you can find the option under: desktop > gnome > remote-access. The description for that option is as follows:

If not set, the server will listen on all network interfaces. Set this if you want that accept connections only from some specific network interface. eg: eth0, wifi0, lo, ...
    Unfortunately I can't test this myself at the moment, but if you have access to a second computer in the network, you should be able test this yourself.