Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New user - -super low RAM + computer has frozen a few times. Advice?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: New user - -super low RAM + computer has frozen a few times. Advice?

Based on that output, and the one from "free" in your fist post, everything is workign just fine.

You have 2 512MB RAM modules installed, giving a total of 1GB of RAM. 128MB is assigned to the integrated graphics card, some is taken by the Linux kernel itself, leaving 874 MB available for use.

And form that 874 MB over half is still free, based on the "-/+ buffers/cache"-line from the free output. 390MB of RAM is used, and 484MB is still availbele should any program need it.

Sure, if you compare to new computers sold these days, especially all the ones running Windows 7, 1GB of RAM is not much. But on the other hand your system is doing quite fine with the amount of RAM you have. Upgrading that to 2GB might give you a small performance benefit, but chances are it would still be so small you wouldn't notice any actual difference.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mimicatastrophe View Post
    wow is there a reason my BIOS is from 2005? I had a wiped clean hard drive before installing ubuntu 12.04 if that matters...
    ... because your hardware is from 2005? Installing an Operating System won't update your BIOS.
    There is nothing wrong with a BIOS from 2005. Only update it (if possible) if it solves BIOS bugs with new hardware. Which you probably won't have.

and not sure what that DIMM thing is or means but I noticed a large difference.
    DIMM is the name of the physical memory chips. You have two of those DIMM chips, each 512 MB, adding up to 1GB total.

your script is nice though, I like how easy the output was to read even for someone like me who doesnt know much about commands.
    Thank you! I've created it for users complaining their Ubuntu was only showing 3GB of RAM, whereas their system had more. That has to do with type (32-bit versus 64-bit) of processor and type of OS. Glad it helps you too.

Talking about which: you have a 64-bit processor. Interesting, as your hardware is already from 2005, at which time 64-bit processors were not yet common.
    Last edited by sanderj; June 3rd, 2012 at 12:40 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    Sure, if you compare to new computers sold these days, especially all the ones running Windows 7, 1GB of RAM is not much. But on the other hand your system is doing quite fine with the amount of RAM you have. Upgrading that to 2GB might give you a small performance benefit, but chances are it would still be so small you wouldn't notice any actual difference.
    do you think that difference would be so small even as a designer running high visual/graphic content and programs? most of the time? or would this be about the same performance as when I had windows.

the tech i mentioned never even asked if my computer was old. i am glad to hear its a factor like i thought. so thanks a bunch! looks like I am mostly all set here with my new linux and there documentation and forums have been very helpful. =D

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

wow is there a reason my BIOS is from 2005? I had a wiped clean hard drive before installing ubuntu 12.04 if that matters...

your script is nice though, I like how easy the output was to read even for someone like me who doesnt know much about commands.
    Everything seems to be working fine based on the output. DIMM (Dual In-line Memory Module) is basically the slots for the RAM (Random-Access Memory). Some more information below...

DIMM
    RAM

I have less than 1GB of memory in my computer and I'm running Ubuntu with GNOME Classic (No Effects). You don't have to do a reinstall to get GNOME Classic. You can install GNOME Tweak Tool from the Ubuntu Software Center (correct me if I'm wrong guys), and then once it's installed just log out, and from the login screen choose the Ubuntu logo and select GNOME Classic or GNOME Classic (No Effects).
    Question Everything

Beans

do you think that difference would be so small even as a designer running high visual/graphic content and programs? most of the time? or would this be about the same performance as when I had windows.

the tech i mentioned never even asked if my computer was old. i am glad to hear its a factor like i thought. so thanks a bunch! looks like I am mostly all set here with my new linux and there documentation and forums have been very helpful. =D
    Graphic stuff (either from Unity or programs) requires high-end hardware. As your hardware is from 2005 (right?), so 7 years old, and your processor is probably moderate too, you should not expect big improvements from upgrading from 1GB to 2GB RAM.

I'm typing this on a 4GB Core i3 laptop, and Unity is OK with that.

HTH

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sanderj View Post
    ... because your hardware is from 2005? Installing an Operating System won't update your BIOS...

Talking about which: you have a 64-bit processor. Interesting, as your hardware is already from 2005, at which time 64-bit processors were not yet common.
    haha okay that makes sense thanks i have only used newer computers before so it was strange to see a date that far back...about the processor I guess it could be coincidence but I do have a computer that has probably been rebuilt and customized from different parts quite a bit when I consider the person who gave it to me.

but i was really surprised to see that too! does it effect the functionality of my computer? especially running 32 since thats what I have always done and my windows was even 32 and should i be installing an OS that is for 64-bit?

Beans

haha okay that makes sense thanks i have only used newer computers before so it was strange to see a date that far back...about the processor I guess it could be coincidence but I do have a computer that has probably been rebuilt and customized from different parts quite a bit when I consider the person who gave it to me.

but i was really surprised to see that too! does it effect the functionality of my computer? especially running 32 since thats what I have always done and my windows was even 32 and should i be installing an OS that is for 64-bit?
    64-bit Ubuntu won't make your system any faster. However, if you reinstall (for example Lubuntu or Xubuntu), you could choose the 64-bit OS.

Beans

I'm typing this on a 4GB Core i3 laptop, and Unity is OK with that.

HTH
    sooooo if i were to install quite a bit more say 4gb or more of the RAM I would then notice the difference? I was told it was cheap plus I think I have access to some more as well.

not sure why i didnt see a few of these replies i am seeing now but thanks for such detailed solutions and explanations its helped a lot =D

Beans

I have less than 1GB of memory in my computer and I'm running Ubuntu with GNOME Classic (No Effects). You don't have to do a reinstall to get GNOME Classic. You can install GNOME Tweak Tool from the Ubuntu Software Center (correct me if I'm wrong guys), and then once it's installed just log out, and from the login screen choose the Ubuntu logo and select GNOME Classic or GNOME Classic (No Effects).
    so I was unable to find that in the software center and before they used the terminal to install that option but i did not see how. they are super busy but i may ask again if i am experiencing any issues and i am glad to hear it is running well with a similar system or at least same RAM!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

64-bit Ubuntu won't make your system any faster. However, if you reinstall (for example Lubuntu or Xubuntu), you could choose the 64-bit OS.
    Actually it does, depending on tasks you do and programs you use 64-bit computing can have significant performance benefits over 32-bit systems.

Especially all audio/video enconding and other media-related tasks can be done much faster on a 64-bit system, assuming of course that the programs that are used are made to take advantage of the 64-bit instructions available.

However when it comes to desktop perfomance, as opposed to raw processing performance, that's pretty much up to the graphics card and it's drivers.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast