Thread: Having to manually mount an External HDD

Beans

Having to manually mount an External HDD

Hello all

When I plug in my Seagate External HDD Linux tells me "you can't mount /dev/sdg1 only root can do that." So I open xterm and type in:
    Code:
    sudo mount -t ext4 /dev/sdg1 /media/Seagate
    and it mounts fine. Similarly, when I want to remove the drive I type:
    Code:
    glenn@design:~$ sudo umount /dev/sdg1
    Although it takes 2 or three tries in 'Computer' to "safely remove drive" before the drive powers down and the power light goes out.

Is there any way I can get around having to manually mount the drive when I plug it in? Its already in fstab:
    Code:
    # Seagate External HDD
    UUID=d4964716-bc5b-43b2-bfa3-379daf0a068d /media/Seagate ext4 noatime,relatime 0 0
    Glenn.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Having to manually mount an External HDD

What happens if you comment out the line for this partition in fstab. It should automount without you needing to add the line to fstab. As far as needing root to mount the drive; you can add user as an option and the regular users will be able to mount it -- but that's not automount now is it?
    Last edited by bab1; June 6th, 2013 at 08:05 PM.
    -BAB1

Rebelli0us is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

It should mount if you double-click it in file manger. Likewise you should be able to right-click and select "unmount". Perhaps there's something wrong in the fstab line, I'd comment it out temporarily, reboot and see what happens.

Beans
    Hidden!

For ease of use, particularly if you want to be able to write to the drive, I suggest you make sure the partition on it is labeled with some descriptive name, eg, Seagate with command
    Code:
    sudo tune2fs -L Seagate /dev/sdg1
    assuming sdg1 is still the device name when attached. This means that when attached by USB the drive will always automount at /media/Seagate. Now with the disk attached and mounted run
    Code:
    sudo chown glenn:glenn /media/Seagate
    That should mean you can now write to the partition on the disk as user without any difficulties.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; June 6th, 2013 at 08:02 PM.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelli0us View Post
    It should mount if you double-click it in file manger. Likewise you should be able to right-click and select "unmount". Perhaps there's something wrong in the fstab line, I'd comment it out temporarily, reboot and see what happens.
    If the partition is mounted via the fstab file, by default, only root can mount and dismount it. On the other hand USB connected media wil be auto mounted unless the the partition (drive) is defined in fstab. You can use the option (in the 4th field) of user to allow mortal users to mount and dismount fstab defined mounts. See the fstab man page
    Code:
     user   allow a user to mount
    -BAB1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bab1 View Post
    What happens if you comment out the line for this partition in fstab. It should automount without you needing to add the line to fstab. As far as needing root to mount the drive; you can add user as an option and the regular users will be able to mount it -- but that's not automount now is it?
    Exactly. No fstab entry, and any usb drive is mounted automatically when inserted.