Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing Truecrypt 4.2 on Ubuntu 6.06

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Installing Truecrypt 4.2 on Ubuntu 6.06

*** UPDATE: Truecrypt + GUI Frontend is installable via Automatix for 32-Bit Ubuntu ***
    *** I will no longer be updating this post, feel free to make use of any of this text in any way ***
    *** If you would like to repost this as a 64-Bit install guide, PM Me... I'll give you the entire thread text (formatting and all) ***

THANKS FOR ALL THE SUPPORT!

TrueCrypt is Free open-source disk encryption software for Windows XP/2000/2003 and Linux.

Main Features:
    * Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk.
    * Encrypts an entire hard disk partition or a device, such as USB flash drive.
    * Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent.
    * Provides two levels of plausible deniability, in case an adversary forces you to reveal the password:
    * Hidden volume (steganography).
    * No TrueCrypt volume can be identified (volumes cannot be distinguished from random data).
    * Encryption algorithms: AES-256, Blowfish (448-bit key), CAST5, Serpent, Triple DES, and Twofish.
    * Mode of operation: LRW (CBC supported as legacy).

This post contains TWO METHODS for how to install TrueCrypt on NEW version of Ubuntu 6.06, including new version of Ubuntu Dapper kernel (this is important, since Dapper updated kernel through security updates).

ONLY USE METHOD #2 IF METHOD #1 DOESN'T WORK!

METHOD #1

1. Download TrueCrypt 4.2a debian (.deb) installer at: http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads.php to your home directory. The debian installer is wrapped inside a tar file. If you have a standard 32-bit kernel select "Ubuntu 6.06 x86" from the drop-down menu. If you have a 64-bit kernel select "Ubuntu 6.06 x86-64 from the drop-down menu.

2. Download the debian installer into your Home folder and then un-tar it in your home folder and run the following command seperately:

32-Bit Kernel:
    cd
    tar -xvf truecrypt-4.2a-ubuntu-6.06-x86.tar.gz
    64-Bit Kernel:
    cd
    tar -xvf truecrypt-4.2a-ubuntu-6.06-x86-64.tar.gz
    3. After the file is untarred execute the following commands seperately:

Install the debian file with the following commands:
    cd truecrypt-4.2a
    sudo dpkg -i truecrypt_4.2a-0_i386.deb
    4. Execute the following command to allow non-sudo users access to mount Truecrypt volumes:
    sudo chmod u+s /usr/bin/truecrypt
    Kudos to everybody posting in this thread for contributing this method to the HowTo... cheers!

METHOD #2

1. Download TrueCrypt 4.2a source code at: http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads.php (tar.gz version) to your home directory by selecting "Other (source code)" from the drop-down menu.

2. Run the following commands:
    cd
    tar xvfz truecrypt-4.2a-source-code.tar.gz
    For security purposes, download the gpg signature file and then import the key with command:
    gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv F0D6B1E0
    Verify the signature by running the following command:
    gpg --verify truecrypt-4.2a-source-code.tar.gz.sig truecrypt-4.2-source-code.tar.gz
    3. Check the version of your Linux kernel by running the following command:
    uname -r
    4. For instance, if it is 2.6.15-25-386 - so we have to install the source and create a symbolic link for version 2.6.15 by running the following commands:
    sudo apt-get install linux-source-2.6.15
    cd /usr/src/
    sudo tar xvjf linux-source-2.6.15.tar.bz2
    sudo ln -s linux-source-2.6.15 linux
    5. Install required tools needed for compiling the source by running the following commands:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential
    6. Check which version your kernel was compiled with by running the following commands:
    cat /proc/version
    The output should look something like the following:
    Linux version 2.6.15-25-386 (buildd@terranova) (gcc version 4.0.3 (Ubuntu 4.0.3-1ubuntu5)) #1 PREEMPT Wed Jun 14 11:25:49 UTC 2006

7. Verify that gcc 4.0 is Installed by running the following command:
    sudo apt-get install gcc-4.0
    8. Install TrueCrypt by running the following commands:
    cd
    cd truecrypt-4.2a/Linux/
    sudo ./build.sh
    If you run into problems during this step please consult this reply: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost...9&postcount=18

9. Once the build is complete run the following command:
    sudo ./install.sh
    During this process you will be prompted three different times immediately after the script executes. For the first prompt press the "Enter" key, for the second prompt specify the location of the man pages as "/usr/share/man", for the third prompt provide either "y" for yes or "N" for no. (Aside from the first prompt which I pressed the "Enter" on, I have provided below the answers I chose during install marked in bold. If you want to allow all users on your machine to use Truecrypt make sure to input "Y" for question #3 below. Note allowing non-admins users to run Truecrypt will allow ALL users access to the program.
    1. Install binaries to [/usr/local/bin]:
    2. Install man page to [/usr/local/man]: /usr/share/man
    3. Allow non-admin users to run TrueCrypt [y/N]:Y
    If you chose "Y" (i.e., yes) to question #3 above, please execute the following command:
    sudo chmod u+s /usr/bin/truecrypt
    That's it, install is finished. The following are all commands for the operation of Truecrypt.

Mounting a TC volume named "secure.tc" from a USB device to the directory "/mnt" :
    1. sudo truecrypt /media/usbdisk/secure.tc /mnt/
    If you are prompted with just "password:" after running the command you will need to insert your Ubuntu login password to supply SUDO with appropriate permissions. However, if you see the below in your command line simply provide the TC volume password and everything should mount without any problems:

Enter password for '/media/usbdisk/secure.tc':
    Unmount the drive:
    cd
    sudo truecrypt -d
    Check if it is really unmounted (If total = 0, there isn't a truecrypt volume mounted):
    ls -l /mnt/
    List all mounted TrueCrypt partitions:
    sudo truecrypt -vl
    Create a Truecrypt volume using the wizard:
    truecrypt -c
    Have fun and also check the documentation: http://www.truecrypt.org/documentation.php

Credit and thanks go out to Ubuntuforums member virtadept for his previous post that can be found at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ight=truecrypt.
    Without his help this post would not be here and all our data would still be insecure!

This guide has been reported working for Ubuntu 6.06, both 32 and 64 bit editions.
    IF YOU USE THIS HOW-TO, PLEASE CONTRIBUTE BY POSTING A REPLY WITH YOUR RESULTS
    Last edited by kabronkline; April 19th, 2007 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Updates

Beans

Re: Installing Truecrypt 4.2 on Ubuntu 6.06

hi,

what happens after a kernel update?
    do I have to do this again after each kernel update?

thanx for the well written how to!

richard

Beans
    Distro

I'm not entirely sure of the answer to your question; however, to my understanding as long as the release is 2.6.15 there will be no need to reinstall Truecrypt.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Re: Installing Truecrypt 4.2 on Ubuntu 6.06

Hi,
    Thanks for the guide. Just what I needed, as I have all my documents and pictures backed up in some TrueCrypt volumes from WinXP days, and now I need to restore them. And as any kind of configure/make/make install or kernel compilation is still a mystery that fails 95% of the times tried, a step-by-step guide including the requirements like gcc and similar (even though I had them) as well is most welcome for many beginners, I would think. It is not as self-evident as gurus would think.

Now, as for the installation, during step 9 I got the following error:
    Checking build requirements...
    Error: Kernel source code is incomplete - header file dm.h not found.
    Any suggestions for continuing? Followed every step and got no erros before.
    "Do it alone, it's weird.
    Do it with others, it's a club."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dilidon
    ...Now, as for the installation, during step 9 I got the following error:

Any suggestions for continuing? Followed every step and got no erros before.
    You most likely don't have the headers installed for your kernel. Use this command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by w00d77
    You most likely don't have the headers installed for your kernel. Use this command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`
    Thanks for the recommendation. That's however the puzzling part. I thought I had them and the command confirms this by saying "linux-headers-2.6.15-23-386 is already the newest version."
    Removed them and reinstalled them, but that was of little help.

Beans
    Distro

This seems to be very puzzling.... I would imagine somebody around here can provide the answer! If so, I'll add it in to the how-to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm having trouble with truecrypt too. I had it working under Breezy but now I can't get it to work under Dapper. I get this message once I enter the password for my encrypted volume:

FATAL: Error inserting truecrypt (/lib/modules/2.6.15-25-686/extra/truecrypt.ko): Invalid module format
    truecrypt: Failed to load TrueCrypt kernel module

Does it have anything to do with me using the 686 kernel now?

Beans
    Distro

Changing kernal version can definitely break Truecrypt. Try following my howto for Dapper if you haven't already.

Hopefully, we can get some GURUs in here to clarify some things. Hopefully this guide can grow and become more useful..... hopefully.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I tried recompiling & reinstalling the program to no avail. I'll check back periodically to see if anyone has a solution. Thanks!

Anybody have any ideas?
    Last edited by alaaji; June 25th, 2006 at 05:56 AM.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast