Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Humble Indie Bundle - Please only allow native titles in the HIB (Petition)

Beans

Humble Indie Bundle - Please only allow native titles in the HIB (Petition)

Hi

Here is petition:

"Please only allow native titles in the Humble Indie Bundle:

The Petition
    Linux users have been supporting the Humble Indie Bundle from the beginning and a relation of mutual trust has grown between the people behind the Bundle and the Linux community. Unfortunately, I feel this trust has been violated by the inclusion of a non-native Linux game in the latest Bundle.

This is not merely a complaint about one game included in one Bundle, in this case Limbo. It sets a horrible precedent for the future, encouraging developers to merely put out unoptimized Windows binaries of their games running through a WINE or similar layer merely to con Linux users out of their money. We can not allow this to happen, not to the Humble Indie Bundle.

With all of this said, we do not want to boycott the Bundle as many of the developers involved are still very much deserving of our money, as are many of the charities, and even the Bundle guys themselves are still making an effort. But we can not let this go without at least getting our point across.

So we implore:
    1. Linux users to sign this petition. Guarantee that the integrity of the Bundle remains and that you get a fair deal for your money.
    2. Mac users to sign this petition. The threat of non-native binaries applies to you just as much as to Linux users.
    3. Windows users to sign this petition. Ports often lead to optimizations and fixes, making your gaming experience better.
    4. Other developers to sign this petition. After all of the effort some of you have put into your native porting, it is just as much a slap in the face to you.

Also remember that you have a choice as to how your money is distributed - if you feel you have not gotten a fair deal from Limbo, please make sure your money is divided as you feel is right.

This is not meant as an outright attack or a smear on the Bundle itself. It is a merely a reflection of our desire to see the high standards that the Bundles have previously adhered to continue. We are doing this because we care. Please accept this in the manner in which it is given."

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/hib-native/

Beans

Re: Humble Indie Bundle - Please only allow native titles in the HIB (Petition)

It sets a horrible precedent for the future, encouraging developers to merely put out unoptimized Windows binaries of their games running through a WINE or similar layer merely to con Linux users out of their money
    Why are you assuming that WINE version have to be unoptimized inherently? Do you have any evidence that the current Limbo version is not optimized or that a native version would be better optimized? As far as I see it, if it runs, it runs and I don't care how it is achieved and as far as I can tell, Limbo runs on my Ubuntu Laptop and I would have never guessed that it's not a native application.

Beans

From what I've heard on Reddit, the Limbo Linux version was done by CodeWeavers, partially as an experiment to see if future Windows titles could be brought to Linux this way. (CodeWeavers are a commercial company with a symbiotic relationship with Wine, they've led to a lot of improvements in Wine)

EDIT: Details are surmised here:

The LIMBO Linux build was created by CodeWeavers who basically take a custom version of Wine and tune the game to make sure it runs flawlessly. This is our first experiment with CodeWeavers and we are watching carefully.

If there are any bugs with the game, I don't want people to think "oh well, it uses Wine" -- these ought to be sent to CodeWeavers who should do their best to fix them.
    At the link there are some extra thoughts from Richard Esguerra.
    Last edited by Sofox; June 2nd, 2012 at 04:00 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by xedi View Post
    Why are you assuming that WINE version have to be unoptimized inherently? Do you have any evidence that the current Limbo version is not optimized or that a native version would be better optimized? As far as I see it, if it runs, it runs and I don't care how it is achieved and as far as I can tell, Limbo runs on my Ubuntu Laptop and I would have never guessed that it's not a native application.
    On a case to case basis, I agree with you; if it runs, it runs, and it doesn't matter how it was accomplished. The problem arises when using Wine to "port" games becomes the rule rather than the exception. The HIB is a rather important and well-respected event on the indie gaming scene, and if they start accepting Wine "ports" in place of actual native clients, that risks normalizing this practice.

Wine is a set of APIs that are attempting to mimic another set of APIs, the specifications of which they do not have access to. Even though Wine is getting to be fairly mature, a properly implemented native solution will ALWAYS run better than even the best packaged non-native solution running in Wine.

Beans

They shouldn't offer a linux client in the first place or simply mark the client as "port". Excluding a great indie game completely is not the solution.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by nomodeset View Post
    They shouldn't offer a linux client in the first place or simply mark the client as "port". Excluding a great indie game completely is not the solution.
    They're all ports, except for Amnesia which was developed for Linux, Mac and Windows simultaneously.

They should state more clearly that Limbo isn't native. Even though it doesn't explicitly say that the games will be native, only that they will work on all platforms, people have come to expect native clients since that has always been the case before.

They did at least pay CodeWeavers to configure a transparant Wine-bottle for Limbo, which is better than nothing. This way the Linux version does at least have some kind of official support.

Beans

No.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

No. I'm not going to sign it.

Basically because of one reason: At least they try! Given the really few games brought to linux i personally don't care how it is done, as long as it is done and it runs.
    As they said - it's an experiment.
    I played the game on a windows machine, i am gonna try it and judge afterwards. And then i'm gonna give feedback to the developers, i reckon thats way more efficient then signing a petition thats against it no matter what.

Beans

No, i agree with the other posters . At least they are trying.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    No.
    This.

It's all fine and dandy if it's 100% native, but it doesn't get my blood to boil if some games are wrapped - as long as it works.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast