Thread: Gnome-shell option in LightDM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Gnome-shell option in LightDM

I previously had gnome-shell installed, but removed it when I thought I'd stick with Unity. Now I've decided to give it another shot using some extensions, however I don't have the option for it when I log out and click the ubuntu logo to change DE. I have tried restarting to make sure it's nothing stupid like that. I have the option for GNOME Classic, and there is no gnome-shell.desktop file in /usr/share/xsessions

Does anybody have any ideas on how I can fix this? I'm new to Ubuntu/Linux, so not sure what to try from here.

Beans

Re: Gnome-shell option in LightDM

Just go into your Synaptic Package or what ever you may use and do a search under gnome. You will find the Desk top environment there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've tried reinstalled gnome-shell via both the Software Centre and Synaptic, with the same result.

Beans

Package name is "gnome-shell". Pretty hefty download with all dependencies (170 MB if it was never installed). No further action needed, install package, log out, log back in and from the option next to the username/password login select gnome as your user-session.

Beans

You can install with this as well.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-shell