Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Humble Bundle V is now out

Beans

Re: Humble Bundle V is now out

Quote Originally Posted by hoboghost View Post
    When I try to download anything from the "Download for Ubunutu" links it takes me to the Ubuntu Sofware Center but reports that "There isn't a software package called "Bastion" in your current software sources.

Oddly, I still see the 10 five star ratings for bastion but nothing else.

Same thing happens for the other games. Anyone know how to fix this?
    As stated on the "Download for Ubuntu" page:
    As these games have been recently added to Ubuntu Software Center it might take a minute for them to appear. If you see a "Not found" message, Ubuntu Software Center is working in the background to update the list of available apps.
    EDIT: You might try shutting down the USC, and then trying again. You might also try running
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    in a terminal.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I've been pretty excited with this Humble Bundle line up, but so far haven't had any luck running the games. They appear to install via the software center but when I go run the games, nothing happens.

(Limbo appears to launch, but then crashes because I don't have "DirectX 9.0". I think I successfully installed directx9 via Winetricks, but it didn't do much)

I'm using Ubuntu 11.10, might that have something to do with it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by cboots View Post
    I've been pretty excited with this Humble Bundle line up, but so far haven't had any luck running the games. They appear to install via the software center but when I go run the games, nothing happens.

(Limbo appears to launch, but then crashes because I don't have "DirectX 9.0". I think I successfully installed directx9 via Winetricks, but it didn't do much)

I'm using Ubuntu 11.10, might that have something to do with it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    For anybody to help, we'll need to see what errors are happening. You'll have to run each game from terminal and post any relevant error output. Personally, I've had the best success when I installed the games to my home folder. I was able to get Bastion and LIMBO to work only after installing them to my home folder.

I only installed Amnesia via USC; for the other games, I downloaded their individual installation files.

For Limbo, I got it to work by using the latest Wine version (i.e. not the one that comes packaged with it). I downloaded the Windows installation file for Limbo; ran the installer with Wine; installed dx9 via winetricks (like you mentioned in your post); and changed one of the dx9 libraries via winecfg. The dx9 lib I changed was d3dx9_43. I set it to "native, builtin."
    Laptop: [AMD Vision A4-3300M | 8GB RAM | ATI Radeon 6480G | Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit]

Studio Box: [AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ | 4GB RAM | Nvidia 210 | M-Audio FastTrackPro | KXStudio 11.04 64-bit | 2.6.31-rt14-custom | KDE 4.6.5]

Beans

thatguruguy said:
    ' As stated on the "Download for Ubuntu" page:
    Quote:
    As these games have been recently added to Ubuntu Software Center it might take a minute for them to appear. '

I bought the bundle four days ago. Bastion was shown after a couple of days, but I am still waiting for psychonauts. That is a bit longer than a 'minute'.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by candtalan View Post
    thatguruguy said:
    Quote:
    As these games have been recently added to Ubuntu Software Center it might take a minute for them to appear. '

I bought the bundle four days ago. Bastion was shown after a couple of days, but I am still waiting for psychonauts. That is a bit longer than a 'minute'.
    As also stated on the "Download for Ubuntu" page:
    Also if your bundle included Psychonauts and it does not appear here it will be available shortly, please check back soon.
    Am I the only one who is actually reading the page in question?

Not only that, but Psychonauts is a pretty large program, which is already showing itself to be somewhat buggy. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a while before it makes its way into the USC. In the meanwhile, feel free to download it from the Huble Bundle page; you can download it directly from the Humble Bundle's server or through bittorrent.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    As also stated on the "Download for Ubuntu" page:

Am I the only one who is actually reading the page in question?

Not only that, but Psychonauts is a pretty large program, which is already showing itself to be somewhat buggy. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a while before it makes its way into the USC. In the meanwhile, feel free to download it from the Huble Bundle page; you can download it directly from the Humble Bundle's server or through bittorrent.
    'check back 'soon'' does not mean next week though, does it? If there are good informed reasons why an instruction, which I have read btw, is giving incorrect information, then I think it is a good idea to ask others about it, here. I again confirm that I have actually read the information you again point to, and again point out that, for me, 'soon' is not next week. That would be in a few days, or maybe even 'next week'!

Beans

'check back 'soon'' does not mean next week though, does it? If there are good informed reasons why an instruction, which I have read btw, is giving incorrect information, then I think it is a good idea to ask others about it, here. I again confirm that I have actually read the information you again point to, and again point out that, for me, 'soon' is not next week. That would be in a few days, or maybe even 'next week'!
    The word "soon" is relative. The developers working on Ubuntu don't really frequent this forum. If you want to complain, feel free, but realize that no one here can really address your problem.

Personally, I think it's better to appreciate the fact that Canonical is working with the Humble Bundle guys to make these great games available in the USC. I'm willing to be patient. However, I realize that not everyone has the same perspective that I have, and some insist upon looking every gift horse in the mouth.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    The word "soon" is relative. The developers working on Ubuntu don't really frequent this forum. If you want to complain, feel free, but realize that no one here can really address your problem.

Personally, I think it's better to appreciate the fact that Canonical is working with the Humble Bundle guys to make these great games available in the USC. I'm willing to be patient. However, I realize that not everyone has the same perspective that I have, and some insist upon looking every gift horse in the mouth.
    I too am deeply appreciative for the Canonical/Ubuntu moves to get GNU/Linux out there, particularly with popular stuff like gaming. I do know that 'soon' is relative and I have purchased the bundle - even though I simply do not actually PLAY games(!) - to show some support and well, maybe my grandchildren will play them when they come? However, I think the use of the word 'soon' is misleading and it does the process a disservice. For example, I put myself in the position of a newcomer, or an Ubuntu sceptic, and I still have a page open saying I can click on various buttons and download my purchased games, except for one item which, soon, and so far, never arrives. Knowing what I do now, I can guess it will arrive and be complete over future days or weeks, I personally can wait. But I am concerned that such an apparently poor quality customer experience exists in this situation. I want Ubuntu to get a lot more popular, I trust it will, but whoever is choosing the word 'soon' is not doing Ubuntu and USC reputations much good.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

thatguruguy said:
    Quote:

I think the statement:

"As these games have been recently added to Ubuntu Software Center it might take a minute for them to appear."

...is referring only to ones currently available on USC download page.

At this point, it's probably for the best that Psychonauts is not available in the USC! Icculus recently put out a patch to fix some of the major crashes (e.g. the game would crash before every cutscene); however, the game still crashes/hard freezes regularly. I don't know how it is for others, but it's unplayable for me. It would reflect poorly on Psychonauts and the USC (both of which are great) if the game is released in its current form. The "damage" done by releasing an unplayable release would far outweigh having to wait for it to appear in the USC.
    Last edited by isaacj87; June 4th, 2012 at 03:32 PM.
    Laptop: [AMD Vision A4-3300M | 8GB RAM | ATI Radeon 6480G | Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit]

Studio Box: [AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ | 4GB RAM | Nvidia 210 | M-Audio FastTrackPro | KXStudio 11.04 64-bit | 2.6.31-rt14-custom | KDE 4.6.5]

Beans

I too am deeply appreciative for the Canonical/Ubuntu moves to get GNU/Linux out there, particularly with popular stuff like gaming. I do know that 'soon' is relative and I have purchased the bundle - even though I simply do not actually PLAY games(!) - to show some support and well, maybe my grandchildren will play them when they come? However, I think the use of the word 'soon' is misleading and it does the process a disservice. For example, I put myself in the position of a newcomer, or an Ubuntu sceptic, and I still have a page open saying I can click on various buttons and download my purchased games, except for one item which, soon, and so far, never arrives. Knowing what I do now, I can guess it will arrive and be complete over future days or weeks, I personally can wait. But I am concerned that such an apparently poor quality customer experience exists in this situation. I want Ubuntu to get a lot more popular, I trust it will, but whoever is choosing the word 'soon' is not doing Ubuntu and USC reputations much good.
    No reason to think it won't get better, when it first came out in 10.10, it had barely 12 items and was very under promoted. It's come on far since then with a new interface, active promotion, and more items since then.

The simple fact is that this is the first time the USC will be hosting a 5GB file that they have every reason to believe will be downloaded heavily by many, many people. The fact it's being patched and may require re-downloads only adds to this. It could cause server strain or incomplete downloads or any of a range of problems. After Psychonauts has been released and any possible USC problems have been worked out, they'll have the experience of launching large files and learned from the process and will ensure that they're prepared for the future. That's how these things work, the first time is a problem, but then you get better through iteration.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast