Thread: D-link DFE-580TX: Drivers not working on newer versions of Ubuntu

Hybrid View

Beans

D-link DFE-580TX: Drivers not working on newer versions of Ubuntu

Hi All,

I have a D-link dfe-580tx card. It works perfectly fine on Ubuntu 9.10 amd64 but on newer versions of ubuntu it seems they have disabled 802.1q or dot1q.

The drivers that are installed on my Ubuntu 9.10:

lspci | grep Ethernet
    04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)
    06:04.0 Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc DL10050 Sundance Ethernet (rev 15)
    06:05.0 Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc DL10050 Sundance Ethernet (rev 15)
    06:06.0 Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc DL10050 Sundance Ethernet (rev 15)
    06:07.0 Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc DL10050 Sundance Ethernet (rev 15)
    07:04.0 Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc DL10050 Sundance Ethernet (rev 15)
    07:05.0 Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc DL10050 Sundance Ethernet (rev 15)
    07:06.0 Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc DL10050 Sundance Ethernet (rev 15)
    07:07.0 Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc DL10050 Sundance Ethernet (rev 15)

Is there a way of enabling this within the driver? I have enabled using modprobe but to no avail.

Please help, i hate using a defunct OS

Look forward to your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: D-link DFE-580TX: Drivers not working on newer versions of Ubuntu

I don't know the answer, but I noticed that your post fell down quite a bit with no answer, so I'll take an educated guess. I believe your 580TX use the driver sundance. Please verify with:
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C network
    Does it say driver=sundance? If so, I saw this (old) post: http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.linux.dr...month=20070701 It is titled Linux 802.1Q a.k.a VLAN (Virtual LAN) kernel driver
    From what I read, I guesss the vlan on sundance is software only, and need a special MTU of 1504. Most gigabit cards (not all!) already strip the vlan tag, so the driver only sees a payload of 1500 and somewhere else in the receiver buffer the vlan tag is found.
    <snip>
    I've been using vlans since 2.4.14 or so, and I have never had to set the MTU size to 1504 for any of my cards. I do know however that some of the drivers need the MTU size of 1504 to keep it from discarding it as a long packet and to cope for the increased buffer size needed.
    I wonder if it might help to add to your /etc/network/interfaces:
    Code:
    auto eth2
    iface eth2 inet static
    address whatever.108
    netmask 255.255.2xy.0
    gateway whomever.1
    mtu 1504
    If sundance is not the driver or if I am on the wrong path, please feel free to advise me.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Hi There,

Thanks for replying. Yes it is a sundance driver:-

description: Ethernet interface
    product: DL10050 Sundance Ethernet
    vendor: D-Link System Inc
    physical id: 4
    bus info: pci@0000:06:04.0
    logical name: eth1
    version: 15
    serial: 00:0d:88:68:4c:9c
    size: 100MB/s
    capacity: 100MB/s
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
    configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=sundance driverversion=1.2 duplex=full latency=64 link=yes maxlatency=10 mingnt=10 multicast=yes port=MII speed=100MB/s
    resources: irq:20 ioport:b000(size=128) memory:fba00000-fba0ffff

I have managed to upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10 and dot1q it's still working, however if i run a fresh install of Ubuntu OS it doesn't work.

In respect to the MTU size i had thought of that previously because i did a packet capture. I changed the setting to 1900 but it still didn't allow dot1q packets through.

There is a Redhat Linux driver available on the D-link website but i'm not sure if it's possible to compile the drivers to work on Ubuntu kernel? I'm not that proficient in Linux to be able to do that. Besides i couldn't see a setting in the config file to include dot1q.

Beans
    Distro

There is a Redhat Linux driver available on the D-link website
    May I please see a link.
    i'm not sure if it's possible to compile the drivers to work on Ubuntu kernel
    It probably is. Let's take a look.

PS - If it's this dinosaur, then my answer changes to no way, no how. ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/ethernet_adapters/dfe-580tx/

We no longer use wooden spoke wheels on our sleek BMWs.
    Last edited by chili555; June 1st, 2012 at 06:36 PM.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Yes they stopped making computers out of wood quite a while ago

What about recompiling or changing the sundance driver that is automatically loaded in the newer versions of Ubuntu? Or extracting the sundance driver that is included in Ubuntu 9.10 and then importing it to a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.10? Is that possible?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by stamati76 View Post
    What about recompiling or changing the sundance driver that is automatically loaded in the newer versions of Ubuntu?
    It can be done but is far beyond my area of expertise. The first step would be to find the place in the .c code you think would help. I think you'd have to install linux-source to find it. I think this is another place you could see it: http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~baker/devices...net/sundance.c

Once you made your change, I guess you'd need to recompile the driver and then the kernel; again, far beyond the powers of the old Doc.

Isn't it feasible to junk these old-timers and replace them with cards using modern drivers that do 802.1Q?

Hmmm. I have the source for 2.6.38 and see this in the .c code:
    #if defined(CONFIG_VLAN_8021Q) || defined(CONFIG_VLAN_8021Q_MODULE)
    iowrite16(dev->mtu + 18, ioaddr + MaxFrameSize);
    It seems that MTU is a factor. I wonder if it's productive to experiment with MTU 1482 or 1518 or similar.

I know of no way to copy the 9.10 driver to 12.04 so that it actually works.