Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: browser virus like symptoms seamonkey

Beans

browser virus like symptoms seamonkey

I came on here today to ask similar, but cant find the "post new thread" link.

I use seamonkey for AMD64 which is sadly lacking in regular updates. I dont prefer firefox as it leaves alot of cache uneraseable etc. Having symptoms of a browser virus in Ubuntu 10.04, ie. click noises on webpages, and scroll bar going up and down of its own accord rapidly. I think yawl are mistaken on nobody targeting linux, after the Aug? 2011 hack into canoniacal's packages.

Avast4workstation and clamav both newly updated, find zip.

It is foolish to figure "no one is targeting linux, hence we need nothing". I do believe that to be wrong now. Especially with the upped linux popularity.

Where to post new thread?

Beans

Re: This is a false positive, right?

Actually, I should add to that above.
    Avast4 found about 12 cache files part of firefox (which I avoid using), that were "decompression bombs";
    trying to get a simple ebay page, froze up in seamonkey, looked below and saw it was trying to connect with a vaccine site part of state.va.gov; (inappropriate);

and, while doing avast4 thorough system scan, curious how many files were on my system, son queried the amount which came up as TB* (terrabytes) which he says is impossible to be so, from the properties tab on computer.

Beans

browser virus like symptoms seamonkey

Hello,
    Using seamonkey on amd64 ubuntu 10.04, 4 similar symptoms to browser virus/hijacking:
    albeit seamonkey amd64 is not regularly updated because the amd64 is a special alternative by user.

1) clicking in audio all by itself while on a webpage yesterday
    2) scrollbar on browser rapidly going up/down 2 days ago, on webpage
    3) trying to connect to freq. used site/hung, noticed bottom bar said waiting on "xxx.state.va.gov" inappropriately, which when researched was a vaccine health site;
    4) avast4workstation picked up in cache of Firefox (which I avoid using)
    about 12 "decompression bombs", all erased manually now.

Other peculiarities, when curious how long avast would take to complete thorough system scan, properties of computer/file system indicated a TB count of files, which son says has to be an error, impossible. (terrabytes not gigabytes).

Are you sure after last Aug/Sept. hack of canonical's package sources, that linux isnt being targeted for viruses?
    I use seamonkey as it has better security/ability to erase cache junk, than firefox. Firefox is installed but not used except for webpages that refuse to function w/ seamonkey.

chkrootkit, rkhunter, and unhide all come up only with false positive known stuff. Have a windows half, but it is not allowed to connect to internet.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: This is a false positive, right?

I came on here today to ask similar, but cant find the "post new thread" link.
    For opening a new thread, you go to the corresponding section, ie, security discussions, and in the left top part of the page you click on new thread.

I use seamonkey for AMD64 which is sadly lacking in regular updates
    The use of browsers without receiving security updates is a risk and a way to have malware, I recommend to use browsers with security updates.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: browser virus like symptoms seamonkey

Link for the supposed, Aug/Sept. hack of canonical's package sources. please.

Beans

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j..._iOOJw&cad=rja

Guess Its called Kernel Org, linux packages hack
    But I am sure you already knew that

Thanks for the helpful comment

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by yyyyyyyyyyz View Post
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j..._iOOJw&cad=rja

Guess Its called Kernel Org, linux packages hack
    But I am sure you already knew that

Thanks for the helpful comment
    Funny incident for sure, no OS is safe really all in all, but if you research more you will find that the backups were on secure servers never infected, I believe, I think it was a anomaly basically.

As for your problem hard to say really, I would clean the cache for that browser to start with. I would also use one that has a flash block like FF has noscript, and other blockers, they cover some things anyway.

Computers are only as safe as the users, I would be more concerned of a root type kit, which if I understand needs access to root to install, but I'm hardly knowledgeable in this really.

You will probably get more answers when the weekend and holidays are over in the US and it is daytime here in the US in general.

I use FF and have it set to save nothing and have several add ons, and run bleachbit every so often as well, never really had any trouble that I could confirm, but yah never know.
    Last edited by wilee-nilee; May 28th, 2012 at 09:11 AM.

Beans

And this Linux.org one a month later Sept. 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOz0FNeIL8s

Beans

Thanks for the good answer willy nilly.
    So it's name is FF? (or something bigger?)
    I despise firefox and it thinks it's cache is cleaned/ this is why I refrain from using it.

Re the 2 attacks, bought this laptop august 2011 and was in process of downloading patches to the linuxcentral ubuntu disk I was using, so yes concerned with above.
    I did chkrootkit, rkhunter and unhide, they dont find anything
    The one in the above was called phalanx or something like this.
    However, couldnt a rootkit change its name to avoid detection in all the time gone by?
    Very sucky to be experiencing this in linux after all the learning to use the system and be safe.

Have a good holiday

Beans

Hi
    Duh for me, you mean FF firefox.
    I am spoiled from seamonkey re the erasing cookies things at will, and it actually doing as told.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast