Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: accessibility issues

Beans

Re: accessibility issues

I don't think these issues have been addressed.

For example, the mouse-over scrollbars, the dock, and mouse-over features in general create ergonomic trouble, and given the latency, can be ergonomic nightmares. Even after disabling the mouse-over scrollbars, the normal width of the scrollbars is too narrow. I think the reasoning was that people can use trackpad scroll and/or scrollwheels, but trackpad scrolling requires really good hand-eye coordination, and scrollwheels cause tendon issues.

For another example, Unity is supposed to use an alt-tab key combination to switch between windows. Gnome 2 made it easy to use the bottom panel to switch between windows. alt-tab is convenient if you can type two-handed or can type left-handed, but it's really awkward if you can only type right-handed. I have coordination issues and can't type two-handed. A few years ago I was hit while crossing the street and had my good arm in a sling.

You know what? Making Ubuntu *usable* for people with injuries and/or disabilities will tend to make it easier to use for those who don't. I'm surprised, and angry, that this has not been a priority. And those design decisions show that it hasn't been a priority.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

i personally don't think this has been addressed either... these things should be built in to the system as standard!

the whole problem with Ubuntu is that it is full of geeks who think the command line is the be all and end all of computing... problem is the world is much larger and if Ubuntu wants to be used world wide it needs to take these things into account...

i truely believe these things need to be built into the GUI and not force people into using the terminal...

MarjaE, i do know how you feel as i have had shoulder surgery on one shoulder and waiting for it on the second shoulder, so i also find it hard at times as a lot of Ubuntu is about keyboard shortcuts or a combination between the mouse and keyboard WHICH I REALLY DONT LIKE !
    Last edited by forestlake; June 23rd, 2012 at 10:38 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
    ... Even after disabling the mouse-over scrollbars, the normal width of the scrollbars is too narrow. ...
    Do you want to know how to increase "the normal width of the scrollbars"?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    the problems isn't necessarily the width, the problem for a lot of people IS the scroll bars

i would like to see an option in the GUI to enable the old style scroll bars, that way people with poor motor skills do not HAVE to hit a certain spot in the scroll bar to then be able to drag it around, they can click anywhere in the scroll bar to then move up or down one page at a time

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forestlake View Post
    the problems isn't necessarily the width, the problem for a lot of people IS the scroll bars
    Well, I was asking about the other poster's issue based on my understanding of "Even after disabling the mouse-over scrollbars, the normal width of the scrollbars is too narrow."

Beans
    Distro

Well, I was asking about the other poster's issue based on my understanding of "Even after disabling the mouse-over scrollbars, the normal width of the scrollbars is too narrow."
    yep, totally understand what both of you are saying about them being narrow, i agree also (and have trouble with them to)... i just believe the option for the old style should have been put in/left in the UI

Beans
    Distro

lol, just ran into trouble then....

went into Dash Home using the super key, then to Applications, then selected "installed applications" to bring up the expanded list of installed apps... i can either scroll down to see them all or click on the "scroll bar" then drag it, which i did... it took me four attempts before i could do it !!! i even had the very point of the mouse over the scroll bar and it would not recognised the mouse properly so what chance to people with motor skill problems have ?!?!

Beans

For gtk-2.0 programs, the conventional scrollbar width can be increased via GUI using GNOME Color Chooser (from USC).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I already found a fix. I should probably mention that I'm using 11.04 and this reflects my experiences with the switch from 10.10 to 11.04 rather than anything specific to 12.04. I actually reinstalled 10.10 at one point, but 11.04 supports a patch for the touchpad so it doesn't go haywire any more.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: accessibility issues

I think if you spend some time with the overlay scrollbars, you'll find them quite nice.
    Not if you have poor vision,which could be op's problem.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast