Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When you are happy with set-up - do you stop upgrades?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

When you are happy with set-up - do you stop upgrades?

I am curious...I am happy with Ubuntu 10.04.02 and have new reason to upgrade. When I do I almost always get into headaches and issues....

I dont really feel I am missing out b/c I read and watch a lot of the new developments out there and none of it makes me compelled to change and upgrade.

I guess I could always back-up and then try to upgrade.

LTS versions are the key I reckon....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: When you are happy with set-up - do you stop upgrades?

If it ain't broken don't fix it. If you feel like you aren't missing out on anything, then keep what you have.

I'm a distro hopper since 2003. I jump from one distro to the next. I keep one distro 3-6 months sometime up to a year. I like change and new flavors. That's why I love Linux, it's so flexible. I feel like changing because I get bored and like to see the newer things that are out there. I have try 39 Linux distro's over the 9yrs with Linux. I like to learn as much as I can about Linux. And it's just so dare fun, learning the new things about Linux. It's all about preference and choices. So, you do what you feel like doing. I change-up for the adventure and just for the plain fun of it. It's what fit your needs and wants. And feel what you want to do at the time. Keep enjoying Linux, and have fun. If it works for you, then keep. You don't have to change-up. Keep enjoying Linux, and change when you feel like changing up.

Beans

I also get bored easily and I love new features. But if all you're concerned about is usability and not wanting to adjust to anything new then I wouldn't bother.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Personally I run every release, even the development but with a regular release alongside, and clone them all when all set up, and periodically more clones.

I backup all homes as well often with grsync and a dpkg lists of what is installed in each OS.

Makes for really fast fresh installs, and reloads if something breaks, or if I have acted irrational, lol.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I tend to stop upgrades once I have the PC set up to my liking. However, one of my good friends is notorious for constantly breaking his system simply out of pure boredom. There are parts that I think this is great but I guess I don't have the time that he does in trying to rebuild the system.

With all that said though I believe that if you know how to fix what you broke or you become familiarised with tweaking your system...you'll be a stronger user.

Beans

Being a newbie that I am , often I get twitchy that I should
    upgrade with the latest releases.

Once I upgraded to Ubuntu 12 in Virtualbox and it stopped me
    from using full screen. I uninstalled Ubuntu, went back to version
    11 and I think I even uninstalled VB!

Now I'm getting the prompt to upgrade Virtualbox and I"m afraid to!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In principle, I like to stay put with an LTS. However, I am currently running 11.10 on my ThinkPad x100, because there was an issue with running 10.04 LTS on this computer.

When 12.04.1 is released in July, my wife and I are getting new laptops with a bit more horsepower, and I will be doing a fresh install.

Probably getting the Sager NP6110.
    I asked the Lord for patience and He led me to Linux
    Linux User #470874 | Ubuntu User #22063

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I just keep mine updated even if I'm quite happy with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I never upgrade, I always do a fresh install. (At one point, I bought a new hard drive in order to do a fresh install.) For computers with a modern AMD CPU, 10.10 had a significant feature not present in 10.04, so I ran 10.10 until it expired.

I have partitions available to fool around with new releases, but I'm moving to Mint 13 for my "production system." I hope to use it for the next four years. But I'll still fool around with new releases.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast