Thread: No drivers after new MB install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation No drivers after new MB install

I installed 10.04 LTS 64bit flawlessly with a Biostar TA890FXE MoBo. This OS is on it's own hard drive. I recently installed a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 MoBo. I am unable to download any drivers because I can't get on the net. No net = no drivers. I'm hoping it is possible to get up and running without having to re-install Ubuntu because 'cuz I have it set perfectly. What are my options here? Thanks in advance
    SkyNET:
    Lucid 10.04 LTS 64bit, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3, AMD Phenom II Black Edition Quad Core 965 3.4GHz, AMD Radeon HD 6770 x2 [Crossfire], Corsair Vengence DDR-3 16GB, Cyborg R.A.T. 7 [wired], Mionix Zibal 60

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: No drivers after new MB install

Vendors normally do not provide any drivers for Linux ony Windows.

Can you not boot?
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

try and boot from latest liveCD. in linux drivers are a part of kernel and 10.04 kernel is 2 years old. so you might need either 12.04 or somehow get the new kernel on your old 10.04 install.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes, I can boot. I can do everything except what requires an internet connection.
    SkyNET:
    Lucid 10.04 LTS 64bit, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3, AMD Phenom II Black Edition Quad Core 965 3.4GHz, AMD Radeon HD 6770 x2 [Crossfire], Corsair Vengence DDR-3 16GB, Cyborg R.A.T. 7 [wired], Mionix Zibal 60

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    try and boot from latest liveCD. in linux drivers are a part of kernel and 10.04 kernel is 2 years old. so you might need either 12.04 or somehow get the new kernel on your old 10.04 install.
    What I find strange is I first installed Ubuntu [forgot the version] on an ECS 6100-something GeForce MoBo. When I replaced that MoBo with the Biostar TA890FXE, all I had to do was reload the Nvidia drivers for the PNY 550 Ti GPU to get my display correct. It went swimmingly after that. So, I thought it would work the same with installing the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 MoBo. I was obviously wrong.
    SkyNET:

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You probably just have to reset the Internet configuration. It may be the wrong version and just stopping that and starting the new would solve it.

But you need to as that question specifically. I have seen several similar threads on Internet connection issues. Search forum and if you do not find a solution start a new thread wtih the MB and Internet configuration in the title.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.