Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your favorite Linux Distros of 2012?

Beans

What are your favorite Linux Distros of 2012?

What are your favorite Linux Distros of 2012?

Beans

Re: What are your favorite Linux Distros of 2012?

Ubuntu and Mint are my favorite all around. (Same thing really. Mint = 95% Ubuntu +non-free drivers, more or less. Yes, I'm aware there are other differences. We're talking overall practicality.) (I'm torn between Ubuntu and Xubuntu. I like XFCE best overall, but there are some pretty cool features in Gnome/Nautilus that I like. Of course, you CAN run XFCE with nautilus and some Gnome libs, if you don't mind that sort of thing.)

For webservers, I like using OpenSuSE, but Apache2 is just as stable and easy on pretty much any good distro. Yast2 is nice.

I WANT to like Fedora, but it's missing remastersys, which I like having on desktop environments. Same with Slack/Salix - I want to like it, but Ubuntu seems more well-rounded (although once I learned it, I DO like the yum package manager as well as I do apt.)

Mandriva's pretty slick, if you can get the live-boot to actually load, and Slax is a portable USB of slackware that's really well put together. Some guys in Russia put together ROSA (ROCA) which is a Mandriva variant, and it's REALLY nice. KDE front end.

Debian has recently been a pain in my tail. Again, I WANT to like it, but I've had trouble getting certain packages to play nice with other ones. If I try to REALLY load up the system, I invariably get something that clashes with something else. Comparing it to Ubuntu, I'd use Ubuntu. It's kind of like dealing with your best friend's well-meaning but profoundly stupid older brother. It's got some rough edges (of course, I've been using Testing/Sid. The stable version's a lot more sane.)

Not a big fan of BSD distros. Mostly because I can't ever get them to load up properly on anything.

Oh! And honorable mention and big kudos to Linux Mint's Debian edition, which kinda fixes a lot of the problems I mentioned earlier in raw Debian.

Disclaimer: the above is strictly my own opinion, and is completely worthless to anyone, human or otherwise. ; )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: What are your favorite Linux Distros of 2012?

HYBRYDE !

http://distrowatch.com/hybryde

Sorry for the supposed "censored by me" inappropriate content !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JOHNNYG713; May 27th, 2012 at 03:50 PM. Reason: remove screenshot with inappropriate content
    johnnyg713
    Ultimate Edition,We are World Wide and Growing !
    http://ultimateedition.info/
    http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/for...hp?f=36&t=2387

Beans

@ Johnny, see you got a Krell monitor going. Dont see those much anymore.

Ubuntu 12.04 is my pic for this year.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans

I"m locked on ubuntu and mint. Mint worked around a few bugs that are still in ubuntu but both work great!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Linux Mint Debian Edition has worked wonders on my netbook. The various incarnations of Puppy Linux are also great. Crunchbang and Archbang are nice if you like openbox.

Otherwise I mostly work within the various ubuntu-based distros that everyone else digs.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Not actually a 2012, but for me, Debian Squeeze
    "Sometimes you just have to pee in the sink." - Charles Bukowski

Beans

Kubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Wink Re: What are your favorite Linux Distros of 2012?

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Ubuntu 12.04 of course.
    (recurring alert!)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast