Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: HTML5 videos on fullscreen is jerky and slow

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Beans
    740
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    HTML5 videos on fullscreen is jerky and slow

    I was trying out HTML5 videos from youtube on fullscreen and it's was awful, the videos made the whole system unresponsive, and the video was jerky. But when there are not in fullscreen they perform better than Flash. But flash smashes it in full screen.
    I am using 12.04 with the binary nvidia drivers, using Firefox.

    Anyone else experiencing this, is this a common 'feature' of HTML5 video?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Beans
    766
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: HTML5 videos on fullscreen is jerky and slow

    Quote Originally Posted by pt123 View Post
    I was trying out HTML5 videos from youtube on fullscreen and it's was awful, the videos made the whole system unresponsive, and the video was jerky. But when there are not in fullscreen they perform better than Flash. But flash smashes it in full screen.
    I am using 12.04 with the binary nvidia drivers, using Firefox.

    Anyone else experiencing this, is this a common 'feature' of HTML5 video?
    I have issues with html5 video as well at least on youtube, not sure whether its html5, webm or google at fault though... but yeah flash in better for me atm as well

    what I typically do these days to watch youtube content is to install minitube, its a good youtube watching program and in the repo's it even allows me to watch vids in 720p!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    1,119
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

    Re: HTML5 videos on fullscreen is jerky and slow

    Video for me on my Ubuntu is choppy, makes my system laggy. I don't know why.
    Question Everything

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Beans
    7

    Re: HTML5 videos on fullscreen is jerky and slow

    Ok, which Nvidia drivers exactly are you using - which version etc.

    Unity/Gnome 3/KDE which environment?

    Have you tried other drivers?

    Have you tried other flash plugins?

    Have you tried other browsers?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Beans
    740
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: HTML5 videos on fullscreen is jerky and slow

    Quote Originally Posted by BLewis View Post
    Ok, which Nvidia drivers exactly are you using - which version etc.

    Unity/Gnome 3/KDE which environment?

    Have you tried other drivers?

    Have you tried other flash plugins?

    Have you tried other browsers?
    I mentioned 12.04 as I am using the binary drivers that come with it and obviously Unity as it is default setup.

    As you have missed the point, this thread was whether other people on Ubuntu were experiencing similar problem, this not a bug report.

    HTML5 video when it came was promised to provide better handling of video as the browser can use the OS video codec libraries to handle the video.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    6,025

    Re: HTML5 videos on fullscreen is jerky and slow

    Quote Originally Posted by pt123 View Post
    Anyone else experiencing this, is this a common 'feature' of HTML5 video?
    Please provide a link to a video we can use for test referencing so we are all on the same page.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Beans
    740
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: HTML5 videos on fullscreen is jerky and slow

    Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Please provide a link to a video we can use for test referencing so we are all on the same page.
    it happens on all youtube videos

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    6,025

    Re: HTML5 videos on fullscreen is jerky and slow

    Quote Originally Posted by pt123 View Post
    it happens on all youtube videos
    Well provide a short clip as an example anyway.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Beans
    740
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    6,025

    Re: HTML5 videos on fullscreen is jerky and slow

    Works fine in fullscreen for me in both FF & Chromium.

    Ubuntu 12.04 base + XFCE 4.10, nvidia-current 295.40, chromium 18.0.1025.151, FF 12.0
    Last edited by mips; May 27th, 2012 at 01:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •