Thread: Display incorrectly identified as "Laptop"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Display incorrectly identified as "Laptop"

Ubuntu 12.04 identifies the monitor on my desktop pc as "Laptop", which is incorrect. It also doesn't shut off the monitor like it is supposed to, it just fades to black but the monitor stays on.

I am not sure what changed to make this occur, but I think it started fairly recently. I think it used to work correctly in 12.04. Is there any way to "reset" how Ubuntu identifes displays?

I am on a Dell Dimension 2400 with a Nvidia GeForce 8400GS PCI graphics card using the proprietary graphics card with an Asus 19" VE198T monitor connected through DVI.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

Re: Display incorrectly identified as "Laptop"

I suspect it has something to do with installing the gnome-fallback session and running it. I uninstalled it but that didn't fix anything. My monitor used to be called "Ancor Communications" or something like that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My display is falsely identified as "laptop" as well.

Beans
    Distro

I unistalled the proprietary Nvidia drivers and then checked and it was labelled correctly under the open-source drivers, reinstalled the proprietary drivers and it went back to "laptop".

Is there some way to completely uninstall the proprietary drivers and all of its configs and settings to make sure it isn't using something from before?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I believe it has something to do with DVI, mine is listed as laptop as well. When I use VGA it knows the name of my monitor. After it fades to black after a couple of seconds to a minute it will turn off. On mine it turns off after a few seconds. It will eventually turn off.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTurtle View Post
    I believe it has something to do with DVI, mine is listed as laptop as well. When I use VGA it knows the name of my monitor. After it fades to black after a couple of seconds to a minute it will turn off. On mine it turns off after a few seconds. It will eventually turn off.
    Yup, too antsy I guess. It turned off after 30 seconds-ish. Thanks!