Thread: Geany question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Geany question

Geany is distributed under the GNU public license, so does that mean anything I write using it is also under said license?
    TELL me how to fix my problem, I'll be back in a week, same problem.
    TEACH me how to fix it, I'll be good from then on.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Geany question

Short answer: no.

For a longer answer: Your question is covered in the GNU GPL FAQ: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html - There is a section "Using programs released under the GNU licenses when writing other programs" in the index that covers your question in detail.

Beans
    Distro

Ah perfect, that's exactly what I was looking for
    You're the best.

Beans
    Distro

So just to confirm, anything written under a program with GPL license is my property unless it explicitly requires GPL components to run?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My guess was that if you write something with Geany, you don't have to release it under a GPL license. To be on the safe side, I've read the link Zugzwang gave you. Here is a quote:
    Can I use GPL-covered editors such as GNU Emacs to develop non-free programs? Can I use GPL-covered tools such as GCC to compile them? (#CanIUseGPLToolsForNF)

Yes, because the copyright on the editors and tools does not cover the code you write. Using them does not place any restrictions, legally, on the license you use for your code.

Some programs copy parts of themselves into the output for technical reasons—for example, Bison copies a standard parser program into its output file. In such cases, the copied text in the output is covered by the same license that covers it in the source code. Meanwhile, the part of the output which is derived from the program's input inherits the copyright status of the input.

As it happens, Bison can also be used to develop non-free programs. This is because we decided to explicitly permit the use of the Bison standard parser program in Bison output files without restriction. We made the decision because there were other tools comparable to Bison which already permitted use for non-free programs.
    So, I guess you replace emacs with geany in your query and you got your answer straight from the horse mouth.

Beans
    Distro

Ah, ok.
    So the short answer is that I own the code I write.

Thanks