Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gnome panel and "opening" anomaly

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Gnome panel and "opening" anomaly

First time I've seen pkexec ,so lets take a closer look at pkexec. Interesting. Its always good to see the direction the boat is traveling. I'll have to keep a closer eye on this. I usually use the "open-as-root", and then edit that way, but that requires another install.

edit: also the man pages are helpful on this command (or any command, for that matter).

Re: Gnome panel and "opening" anomaly

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    First time I've seen pkexec ,so lets take a closer look at pkexec. Interesting. Its always good to see the direction the boat is traveling. I'll have to keep a closer eye on this. I usually use the "open-as-root", and then edit that way, but that requires another install.

edit: also the man pages are helpful on this command (or any command, for that matter).
    One of the issues with gksudo gedit prior to gedit 3.8 is it would try open a 2nd untitled window (bug never to fixed
    That's why in past have suggested sudo gedit as it would not do that or create any other issue.
    Staring in 13.04 (or maybe 12.10) if one uses sudo gedit they'll notice gedit *now* uses the user's preferences rather than root's.

It was mentioned to me in 13.04 dev ( on my bug on the 2nd window) that pkexec would be the way but it hasn't been forthcoming.

I've got pkexc enabled builds of both gedit & nautilus in several ppa's but they're not just gedit & nautilus & also have some changes to nautilus so I don't particularly advertise them.
    If nothing is forthcoming officially I may move them to a standalone ppa for just pkexec (precise, raring, saucy, the gedit I've redone for saucy also includes a built-in "geditas" extension I got from my friends at nautilus-actions ppa

Anyway it's pretty simple to add support to a current install - if there"s any interest will post instructions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12