Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xubuntu volume indicator missing.

Beans

Xubuntu volume indicator missing.

I recently installed Xubuntu 12.04 on my laptop, then began tweaking it. I tried removing Pulseaudio (I don't need it), but found that my volume control keys no longer worked (which is neither a surprise nor a major concern to me).

However, after I re-installed the "pulseaudio" and "pavucontrol" packages, I did not get back the indicator applet which shows my volume. I also installed the "indicator-sound" package.

How can I restore that indicator? Did I grab the right package?

Thank you for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Xubuntu volume indicator missing.

Maybe try right clicking on the panel then selecting panel, "Add new items." Then you can scroll through a list of things you can add to the panel. One of which is the "Indicator Plugin." That's the one you want.

Beans

Re-install the package indicator-sound-gtk2 to restore the volume indicator.

On a side note, you can create custom keyboard shortcuts to adjust the volume in case you really want to get rid of Pulseaudio.
    Last edited by brainwash; May 26th, 2012 at 09:55 AM.
    GNU/Linux

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by brainwash View Post
    Re-install the package indicator-sound-gtk2 to restore the volume indicator.
    Thank you, this (and a reboot) did it.

On a side note, you can create custom keyboard shortcuts to adjust the volume in case you really want to get rid of Pulseaudio.
    I am aware of this, having done it in the past; but since I am only trying to remove it to get a more lightweight system, I don't consider the hassle (with another OS (forgot which), it broke the volume indicator) to be worth the effort.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Xubuntu volume indicator missing.

Well, this is a new reply to an old topic, anyway I decided to reply 'coz I believe that it might still be of some help to the readers.

I'm on XUbuntu 12.04 and I accidentaly (euphemism for "stupidly") removed the sound control from the panel. After some *hours* trying to figure what the heck I had done, I realized that it's not necessary to install anything (quite obvious since nothing was uninstalled): you just have to right-click the panel, go to the Panel Preferences and add this item: Indicator Plugin.

After you do this, the volume daemon (xfce4-volumed) will place the sound control back on the panel and thus you'll be able to use the sliding volume control again.
    Last edited by sampayu; October 25th, 2013 at 03:42 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Smile Re: Xubuntu volume indicator missing.

Quote Originally Posted by bug67 View Post
    Maybe try right clicking on the panel then selecting panel, "Add new items." Then you can scroll through a list of things you can add to the panel. One of which is the "Indicator Plugin." That's the one you want.

Thank you Bug 67. It works for me!!!
    You rock

Beans

Thank you. It works!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Ditto for me! Thanks all.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans

LOL, worked for me too. It's called Indicator Plugins though. I removed the Weather applet and my sound and messenger got removed at the same time. Not sure why that happened, but this was a great help.

Beans

thanx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast