Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Youtube flash player slow and laggy in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Beans

Youtube flash player slow and laggy in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Moderator note. If you have found this forum thread from a google or other search, please be warned: there appears to be no logical reason why this should work. The method appears elsewhere, although it is impossible to tell where it started, and seems to have become some sort of internet version of a folk remedy for flash problems. Despite the claims that some in this thread have made that it has solved their flash problem, the forum staff urge caution in its use. Use at your own risk. It may have adverse effects on your system. In particular, be careful to add in the extra code properly otherwise you may break the functionality of the package and update managers.

So I've had the same problem as a lot of people, youtube was extremely laggy even when I played 240p videos and I tried everything, html5 youtube, flash-aid plugin for firefox and whatnot, and they didn't work for me.
    Then I enabled "Override automatic cache management" on firefox. It got a little better but still a bit laggy on fullscreen.

Then I thought I'd let Ubuntu use more cache . So if you have the same problem just try this:

sudo gedit /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/70debconf.

Then put this code,:
    APT::Cache-Limit "100000000";
    on that file and then save it.

Next type this code on your terminal
    sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get update --fix-missing
    and you won’t find apt cache limit again in the next time.

It worked for me!!!
    Last edited by coffeecat; July 29th, 2014 at 11:32 AM. Reason: apt cache != flash cache

Beans

Talking Re: Youtube flash player slow and laggy in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

After trying some of the same things as you, I thought I'd give this a try.

It worked!

Thanks!
    -J.C.

Beans

Re: Youtube flash player slow and laggy in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Worked for me aswell!

Beans

This isn't just a fix this is an improvement. It seems Ubuntu is holding the cache back for some reason. I haven't actually had any major problems with flash but looked this up for a friend and tested it just to make sure it wouldn't crash and holy high definition video! It even improved the function of VLC and and streaming HD 1080p from my server over my Wifi is a breeze.
    If you're reading this do it even if you don't have problems with flash.
    Thanks!!! (there is no emoticon for how I feel so this will have to do)

Beans

Talking Re: Youtube flash player slow and laggy in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Thank you so much for this solution! It was so frustrating to have the lag issues when watching videos online. This SOLVED my problem. Thank you!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

how could changing how much space is allowed for apt to store packages (deb files) possibly affect video performance?
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    how could changing how much space is allowed for apt to store packages (deb files) possibly affect video performance?

Exactly, what's going on here?

Maybe the flash-aid plugin is what's helping. I'm going to give that a try.

Or this bit:

Then I enabled "Override automatic cache management" on firefox
    I don't see how that would help either though, this refers to disk cache for web content.
    Last edited by michael-wd21; August 3rd, 2012 at 11:27 PM.

Beans

Fantastic, just logging in to say this has solved my laggy flash video playback too.

Thank you

Beans

Thanks
    Last edited by kino2984; August 9th, 2012 at 05:10 AM. Reason: solved, thanks

Beans

Hey guys, my flash is still laggy and my wifi will cut out when I stream it after about 1-1.5 minutes. I've tried all the suggestions here...does anyone have any other ideas I could check for?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast