Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing new network card in Ubuntu 12.04 Server

Beans

Installing new network card in Ubuntu 12.04 Server

Hello all, I am trying to install or make work a new network card I installed on my server. Basically changed the card out since the old on was a 10mb/s and the new one is 100mb/s. Yes running fairly old hardware here lol.
    The card itself is seated correctly, lights up, and detects cable connection.
    Anyway, now eth0 is not present when ifconfig is run. If one runs
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C network
    I do find a network card.
    It's a:
    Code:
    DECchip 21140 [fasterNet]
    local name: eth1
    version 22
    driver = tulip
    driver version = 1.1.15
    It states that is its disabled. Not sure how to enable it...
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig eth1 up
    does not seem to do the trick.
    When doing the ifconfig up, it does then show in ifconfig, but if I try to ping anything on my network, it does not work.
    Also ifconfig does not show any IP or anything like that.

Now I have found a thread here
    that suggests using modprobe, but even after looking at the manual for it, I do not know what to enter to use it with my card.

I have edited
    Code:
    /etc/network/interfaces
    to give eth1 dhcp, but if it can be possible, it would be nice to have this card on eth0, as that has already been configured for thing such as file server, etc.

Please let me know if there is more info that I need to post, or any clarifications.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Installing new network card in Ubuntu 12.04 Server

Let's see:
    Code:
    cat /etc/network/interfaces
    dmesg | grep -e eth1 -e tulip
    Are you running a desktop environment and Network Manager?
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Sorry for the long wait, was away and then forums locked me out. Not sure what you are looking for there, cuz its a long list to type up and since no network no easy way to get it here. Anyway here we go;

Code:
    cat /etc/network/interfaces
    (leaving out commented sections)

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    auto eth0
    iface eth1 inet dhcp
    and here I caught one of my issues, the auto eth0 instead of eth1. Replaced it, restarted it with
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
    (also it says that this way of restarting is deprecated, can you tell me a better way to do it plz)

It took a whole lot of time to reconfigure the network interfaces, but it ultimately failed to bring up eth1.

now onto dmesg | grep -e eth1 -e tulip
    There is a lot that pertains to media and its speeds, but an interesting point here:
    Code:
    tulip 0000:02:0d.0: eth1: tulip_stop>rxtx() failed (CSR5 0xfc660000 CRS6 0x32042202)
    Anything else?
    Thx again!

Beans

the new nic should have an entirely different network ID #
    when you do a ifconfig in terminal are there several network cards I.E eth1 eth2 or even eth4

check out this post

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=771981

Tlan

Beans

Hello tlan, the old nic came out and the new nic went in.
    If at all possible, it would be great to have it on eth0, but its rly not that big of an issue if it is not.

The issue is that the new nic, eth1, is not active, its DISABLED, when checking as in my post above. trying to restart networking also fails (see my 2nd post).

At first there was only the loopback when I did an ifconfig. After doing ifconfig eth1 up, it showed, but it is not really up, its still broken.
    Last edited by failmaster; May 26th, 2012 at 03:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro

tulip_stop>rxtx() failed (CSR5
    I think that's a problem and is the root of DISABLED. I've Googled it a bit and haven't yet found a solution. I wonder if the card is defective.
    If at all possible, it would be great to have it on eth0, but its rly not that big of an issue if it is not.
    It's easily done, but let's see if it works correctly first.

I am off to bed, I'll research more tomorrow.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Hey Chili, thanks a lot for the help. I saw the post from tlan, and I will be editing the file to make it eth0. Maybe that will fix something, I am wondering.

The card is oldish but was working fine the last time I checked and it sat in a box for a few years. Basically when I took it out it looked new, not even dust on it. I did check it visually for defects, but you know that that is not enough.

If there are any software tools to check if the device is operational let me know please.

If there is nothing else that comes to mind, I can stick it in my win7 PC and see if if works there.
    Now its a simple PCI card, but I am wondering if there might be any compatibility issues with the mobo...

Beans
    Distro

Hey Chili, thanks a lot for the help. I saw the post from tlan, and I will be editing the file to make it eth0. Maybe that will fix something, I am wondering.
    I highly doubt it, but you are welcome to try. Please do:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
    There should be a listing in there for your old NIC, named eth0 and probably not using the tulip driver. Remove that whole long line entirely. Be very careful to eliminate only the line you know relates to the old NIC. Now change the line for the new NIC from eth1 to eth0. Proofread carefully, save and close gedit. If you think you've made a mistake, close gedit without saving and start over. If in doubt, stop and ask here.

Now you have a thoroughly confused system, so reboot immediately. Is it eth0 now? Is dmesg still as alarming?

You might try switching the card to another PCI slot.

It would be very helpful if you captured your entire dmesg into a text document:
    Code:
    dmesg > failmaster.txt
    Find the text file in your user directory and transfer it on a USB key or similar and post it here: http://paste.ubuntu.com/

Post back and give us the link so we can see all the tulip, PCI bus and eth0 activity.

Beans

Ok Chili, will do, I did think about sending it over to a file and getting it to you last time, but was like, sorry its 4am here, not gonna do that now

Thanks again for the help btw, I'll do the changes and get you the info needed. Do allow me a few mins (10+).

Beans

There are 2 pages now -> dmesg result is posted on the 2nd page -->>

also forgot, this appears after boot:

Code:
    fsck from util-linux 2.20.1
    /dev/sda1: clean, 37557/2411920 files, 1862291/9641472 blocks
    waiting for network configuration
    waiting up to 60 more seconds for network configuration
    Last edited by failmaster; May 26th, 2012 at 05:54 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast