Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 - Issues with NVIDIA proprietary drivers and mplayer

Hybrid View

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04 - Issues with NVIDIA proprietary drivers and mplayer

I have a rather old system now (Thinkpad T61) with an older graphics card (NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M).

I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04, and have encountered a host of errors while opening mplayer with any video format. Here is the list of problems and attempted fixes -

1) After install, I put in nvidia-current. Downloaded mplayer from the default repositories.

Result : Got a vdp_surface_create error (cant recall exactly, didnt copy out the message).

2) Downloaded the svn version of mplayer, compiled on my own.

Result : Same error as above.

3) Removed the nvidia-current driver, used nouveau. Reinstalled the repository version of mplayer. (This, after doing a
    Code:
    sudo make uninstall
    on the earlier version)

Result : Worked!
    Problem is, I have a dual monitor setup. Wasnt able to configure much with nouveau.

4) With nvidia-current driver, used the PPA copy of mplayer.

Result :
    Code:
    [   vdpau] Error when calling vdp_presentation_queue_block_until_surface_idle: An invalid handle value was provided.
    [   vdpau] Error when calling vdp_video_mixer_render: An invalid handle value was provided.
    [   vdpau] Error calling presentation_queue_query_surface_status: An invalid handle value was provided.
    [   vdpau] Error when calling vdp_presentation_queue_display: An invalid handle value was provided.
    5) Downgraded nvidia drivers to 295.49, 294.40, 295.33, while keeping the PPA copy of mplayer.

Result : Same as (4).

Now, there are a couple of combinations in this list that I did not try out. Does any one have a suggestion as to what may be going on here? For most other people, just using the PPA version seems to have fixed things.

Did I not uninstall the older mplayer versions correctly? I retried all of it while doing a
    Code:
    apt-get remove --purge
    with each copy of mplayer too. I really need my dual-monitor setup going. Ideas anyone?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Issues with NVIDIA proprietary drivers and mplayer

Bump. Had enough. Reverted back to 10.04.
    Totally understand Linus' sentiments...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Is the NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M still supported by the current proprietary driver?
    From looking at the NVIDIA legacy driver page, http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_32667.html

It seems as if support for your card ended with the 96.43.xx drivers.

-Red
    Everything in the future is a wave, everything in the past is a particle. -Lawrence Bragg

Parabola: https://parabolagnulinux.org/
    Completely freed... Libre GNU/Linux !!!

Beans

Not really, I'm using the 295.* set just fine on 10.04 right now.
    Strange, though. I guess I can try switching drivers again?