Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Booting/Cloning/A Big Mess

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Exclamation Booting/Cloning/A Big Mess

Hey everybody,

I have Windows XP and Ubuntu both on separate hard drives. However, my Windows XP hard drive is failing (since I've had it forever) so I want to clone my Windows XP hard drive to another hard drive. The Windows XP never came with an installation disk, just a Recovery CD, so I just can't reinstall my Windows XP to another hard drive. The computer is a Compaq Presario 5410US (if that helps with specs) and both drives are hooked up with no room for a third drive. My thinking is that I have to unplug the Ubuntu hard drive, plug in the new hard drive that Windows XP will be cloned to, and then log into Windows and use whatever software (hopefully, you can suggest one) to do the cloning process. However, when I disconnect the Ubuntu hard drive and try to start up my computer with only the Windows hard drive connected, I get some kind of black screen, maybe GRUB. I think it's because GRUB was written to the MBR and the Windows bootloader is now gone. I know I can restore the MBR of my Windows hard drive using Boot-Repair and GRUB no longer shows up for me to be able to log into Ubuntu, but I am wondering if I can configure it so that when I disconnect my Ubuntu hard drive, it picks up my Windows XP hard drive and lets me be able to log into my Windows XP as if Ubuntu was never there, and when I plug back in my Ubuntu hard drive, it picks it up and gives me back GRUB. Is that possible?
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Booting/Cloning/A Big Mess

a couple of disks that may be of help are:
    Clonezilla - http://www.clonezilla.org/
    And partedmagic
    http://partedmagic.com/doku.php

Believe they will both do the job.

As far as your boot problem don't think it will be a problem as these are both live cd's and will boot to their programs.
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Use the boot-repair and run the create boot info summary info only and post the HTTP address.
    Last edited by wilee-nilee; May 24th, 2012 at 11:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wilee-nilee View Post
    Use the boot-repair and run the create boot info summary info only and post the HTTP address.
    Here you go: Boot Info Summary
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kc1di View Post
    a couple of disks that may be of help are:
    Clonezilla - http://www.clonezilla.org/
    And partedmagic
    http://partedmagic.com/doku.php

Believe they will both do the job.

As far as your boot problem don't think it will be a problem as these are both live cd's and will boot to their programs.
    Right, I know that the Live CDs will boot up, but am I right in my thinking that I have to disconnect the Ubuntu drive, plug in the destination drive, run the Live CD, and then proceed to clone the Windows XP drive? Thank you for those links. Clonezilla looks scary since I have no clue about command line.
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Shadius View Post
    Right, I know that the Live CDs will boot up, but am I right in my thinking that I have to disconnect the Ubuntu drive, plug in the destination drive, run the Live CD, and then proceed to clone the Windows XP drive? Thank you for those links. Clonezilla looks scary since I have no clue about command line.
    yes you right about that you will have to have the new drive installed. But you do not have to boot the machine from the installed grub so don't worry about fixing that until you get the new drive cloned. I like partedmagic. it works well.

you can boot into the live cd and it will do the work don't know how much data has to be transferred but should take an hour or two.

good luck
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Shadius View Post
    Here you go: Boot Info Summary
    The recovery disc will allow you to load the XP bootloader to the mbr of the new HD. I assume this disc gets you to the recovery, it is for using a recovery partition, I would think the recovery terminal as well.

http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/fix-mbr-xp-vista/

Grub in ubuntu will find the XP installation and add it to its menu if you run in ubuntu .

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    This all works, my hope is, is the XP salvagable from that HD.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kc1di View Post
    yes you right about that you will have to have the new drive installed. But you do not have to boot the machine from the installed grub so don't worry about fixing that until you get the new drive cloned. I like partedmagic. it works well.

you can boot into the live cd and it will do the work don't know how much data has to be transferred but should take an hour or two.

good luck
    *Sigh of relief* I cannot thank you enough. I can finally save my Windows XP! So I'm going to make the Parted Magic LiveCD and give it a try. I will be posting back here on my laptop. Thank you!
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro

I would just use gparted on the live cd to do a copy and paste of the XP from the old drive to the new one.

You do this like any copy and paste copy the original; with a right click go to the HD dropdown in the top right, bring up the new drive, and paste to the NFTS you have made in the new one.

This saves the original as is in case of problems.

The receiving partition on the new HD has to be of equal size or bigger.

Then if you want that new HD to boot XP individually follow the link on loading its mbr in my last post.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wilee-nilee View Post
    The recovery disc will allow you to load the XP bootloader to the mbr of the new HD. I assume this disc gets you to the recovery, it is for using a recovery partition, I would think the recovery terminal as well.

http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/fix-mbr-xp-vista/

Grub in ubuntu will find the XP installation and add it to its menu if you run in ubuntu .

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    This all works, my hope is, is the XP salvagable from that HD.
    It's Windows XP Home Edition so it doesn't have the Recovery Console partition. I've used the Recovery CD to do a Factory Restore before. Now my question is, before cloning the Windows XP Home Edition, should I restore the MBR of that drive so that the MBR is cloned onto the new drive?
    Question Everything

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast