Thread: Glitchy video after install.

Beans

Glitchy video after install.

Ok so this is super weird.

If I do the "try Ubuntu" the graphics look crisp and beautiful. But then during the install from the graphical environment as soon as the installer installs some graphic drivers (I'm assuming that's when it's messing up) the graphics instantly become glitchy and pixelated and the computer becomes impossible to use.

Is this a common issue?

The laptop I'm installing it on is a Gateway LT31 netbook. Here is it's specs http://support.gateway.com/s/noteboo.../LT31sp2.shtml.
    Ubu,noobu

Beans

Re: Glitchy video after install.

Quote Originally Posted by wh33t View Post
    Ok so this is super weird.

If I do the "try Ubuntu" the graphics look crisp and beautiful. But then during the install from the graphical environment as soon as the installer installs some graphic drivers (I'm assuming that's when it's messing up) the graphics instantly become glitchy and pixelated and the computer becomes impossible to use.

Is this a common issue?

The laptop I'm installing it on is a Gateway LT31 netbook. Here is it's specs http://support.gateway.com/s/noteboo.../LT31sp2.shtml.
    I should also note, this doesn't happen with older versions of Ubuntu. I have tried Ubuntu 9.04 and it worked fine.

I've also tried Ubuntu 10.04 and Xubuntu 11.10 and they both caused the same issues. So it must have something to do with a different display adapter or something that has come out in recent versions.
    Ubu,noobu

Beans

* Bump *

No one has any clue what this issue is?

Can anyone out there even tell me simply how to disable the graphic driver so I can use the Laptop with out graphic acceleration? I'd settle for that right now.

Please, anyone?
    Ubu,noobu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Could you post your hardware specifications? I don't think many will be able to help if they do not know what hardware you are trying to install Ubuntu on
    i5 2500k @ 4.4 GHz | MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | Gigabyte GTX 570 (OC) 1280 MB GDDR5 | Alpenföhn Himalaya | Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB CL9 RAM | Be quiet! Straight Power BQT-E9 700W | NZXT Lexa S | Monitor - ASUS ML248H 24"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Basher101 View Post
    Could you post your hardware specifications? I don't think many will be able to help if they do not know what hardware you are trying to install Ubuntu on
    The specs are linked in the original post. Thank you for trying.

I'll also add, this garbled video glitch thing happens on any version past 9.04. So there must have been some kind of graphic driver change for my specific video adapter.
    Ubu,noobu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by wh33t View Post
    The specs are linked in the original post. Thank you for trying.

I'll also add, this garbled video glitch thing happens on any version past 9.04. So there must have been some kind of graphic driver change for my specific video adapter.
    seems to be more of a Kernel issue than graphics driver issue

From what i see you have some sort of onboard graphics (they are typical for specs like shared memory). I have no expirience with anything ATI related, yet alone their onboard graphics. Hope someone who has the knowledge to help you comes across...good luck further on

regards
    i5 2500k @ 4.4 GHz | MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | Gigabyte GTX 570 (OC) 1280 MB GDDR5 | Alpenföhn Himalaya | Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB CL9 RAM | Be quiet! Straight Power BQT-E9 700W | NZXT Lexa S | Monitor - ASUS ML248H 24"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Before anyone suggests it, don't install the fglrx (ATI) driver. Your hardware is no longer supported by the current Linux driver and the legacy driver will no longer work with X server.

You will probably need to use "nomodeset" as a kernel option, although that seems more common with NVIDIA cards. Given the legacy status of yours, it may be required. It's worth a try.

nomodeset
    Last edited by QIII; June 6th, 2012 at 09:50 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Before anyone suggests it, don't install the fglrx (ATI) driver. Your hardware is no longer supported by the current Linux driver and the legacy driver will no longer work with X server.

You will probably need to use "nomodeset" as a kernel option, although that seems more common with NVIDIA cards. Given the legacy status of yours, it may be required. It's worth a try.

nomodeset
    Thank you. I'll try that out.

Would it be foolish of me to think that this kind of thing would be automatically detected during install? Isn't there some kind of utility that probes hardware to see what is supported and what isn't?
    Ubu,noobu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

No and sort of, respectively. There are only so many testers that can be hired by a relatively small company that gives its product away for free while depending on revenue from service contracts only.
    Last edited by QIII; June 7th, 2012 at 12:17 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.