Thread: Ubuntu hangs at splash screen (but can get in via recovery)

Beans

Ubuntu hangs at splash screen (but can get in via recovery)

Hi,

I installed Ubuntu for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

The porblem I have encountered is that on booting, I freeze at the screen that says 'ubuntu' with 5-6 dots underneath it.

If I boot via the recovery option, this does not happen. (This is confusing as I merely boot into the recovery menu and then choose to continue with the normal boot.
    NB that when I boot through the recovery menu I seem to have lost customisation made to the desktop (eg transparency of dash, icon size etc.) I have also lost the Compiz effects such as desktop cube.

I strongly suspect that I've messed something up in the process of tinkering with Compiz settings. But not sure of the easiest way to reset it all.

Other info:
    Clean install (dual boot) on Dell L502X. Dual graphics card/optimus solution provided by bumblebee.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu hangs at splash screen (but can get in via recovery)

Sounds like its your graphics drivers. Check to see if the third party software app is asking you to install a graphics driver.

What graphics card have you got?
    PC

To get a terminal command to put its output into a file use this format
    {terminal command} > {filename}

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Peter09 View Post
    Sounds like its your graphics drivers. Check to see if the third party software app is asking you to install a graphics driver.

What graphics card have you got?
    Hi - thanks for posting.

Am using Bumblebee, which uses nvidia proprietry drivers. But the PC was working fine with this from day 1. The only change I can think of, which could have broken it, would have been tinkering with Compiz.

Graphics card is GT 540M, with optimus. Bumblee basically disables this and uses the onboard intel card for normal computing (am not playing any games).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You could try

Code:
    unity --reset
    and I think there is a switch in myunity to return compiz to default (but not sure on that).
    PC

To get a terminal command to put its output into a file use this format
    {terminal command} > {filename}

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Peter09 View Post
    You could try

Code:
    unity --reset
    and I think there is a switch in myunity to return compiz to default (but not sure on that).
    Hi - yep have tried this. But to no avail.
    I also uninstalled and re-installed graphics drivers and bumblebee. I've turned off quietsplsh to try to see what's happening during boot - but no clues there.
    This morning the PC hung at a different point from before. I think I'm going to have to do a clean install - and this time, no compiz.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Maybe you can find some help in here. References to nvidia+compiz on 12.04.

HTH
    If you don't try new things, you'll miss out on life's most important disappointments.
    Registered Linux user: 463847

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Output of

dmesg | grep failed

Prease

Edit: Can you boot in at all or does it just hang for a loooong time without livecd?
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by |{urse View Post
    Output of

dmesg | grep failed

Prease

Edit: Can you boot in at all or does it just hang for a loooong time without livecd?
    Hi - will post asap.

To answer your other question. It sits there forever (OK I left it for an hour and that is forever for booting).

Key thing I just noticed - it seems to happen on battery power only. Will dbl check this.

Thanks in advance for your help - will post the dmesg data asap.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by |{urse View Post
    Output of

dmesg | grep failed

Prease

results of dmesg (failed): [ 0.072512] x2apic not enabled, IRQ remapping init failed [ 1.180432] pci0000:00: ACPI _OSC request failed (AE_ERROR), returned control mask: 0x1d [ 14.226745] [drm:intel_dsm_platform_mux_info] *ERROR* MUX INFO call failed [ 14.226793] [drm:intel_dsm_platform_mux_info] *ERROR* MUX INFO call failed Please note, that this is what I get when I have booted successfully (IE when power is connected) Thanks