Thread: Ways to declutter font menu? Including removing foreign fonts

Beans

Ways to declutter font menu? Including removing foreign fonts

As others might have also experienced, the font menu has so many things in it, it is hard to see what they all are. I find this very annoying.

This includes, notably, foreign-language fonts for languages I don't write in.

Is there anything like, for instance, a one-line command for removing all foreign language fonts?

Is font-menu customizing something I need to do separately for separate applications?

(I think I want to keep all the symbol fonts and math fonts and stuff, but remove all the alphabets I don't read.)

Is there a way to turn fonts off in the menu without uninstalling them? A way to look at certain small groups of fonts in the menu and switch between them?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ways to declutter font menu? Including removing foreign fonts

No one line command that I know of. Install font-manager and see if that helps.
    Dell Inspiron 1764 Laptop, Intel CoreTM i5 520M), 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz, 512MB ATI Mobility RadeonTM HD4330 Integrated Intel HD.

Beans

Smile Re: Ways to declutter font menu? Including removing foreign fonts

If you find unwanted fonts that can't be removed by Font Manager, it's probably because they are write protected and hidden in directories in /usr/share/fonts. You can remove them by brute force, buy you must have superuser priveleges. Locate the offending fonts and use the sudo rm command to remove the font files. Then you can remove the unwanted directories by using the sudo rmdir command.