Thread: Hibernate is missing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hibernate is missing

Running 12.04 UbuntU on a Toshiba Qosmio G20. When I go into System Settings > Power > When lid is closed - in the menu there is 'Suspend' - 'Do nothing' in black & 'Hibernate' in gray. That means I don't have acces to it. I am sure that there is something I am missing here.

& if there was 'Hibernate'is it a good thing for the hard disk / computer?

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Hibernate is missing

I only use suspend
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Frankiewizard View Post
    Running 12.04 UbuntU on a Toshiba Qosmio G20. When I go into System Settings > Power > When lid is closed - in the menu there is 'Suspend' - 'Do nothing' in black & 'Hibernate' in gray. That means I don't have acces to it. I am sure that there is something I am missing here.

& if there was 'Hibernate'is it a good thing for the hard disk / computer?

Cheers

My guess is that you installed Ubuntu via Wubi (You installed it without creating a separate partition and just installed it inside Windows). In Wubi hibernate is not supported. Here is a little information about Wubi:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wubi

If you did not install via Wubi, I don't exactly know why it would be doing this.

As for benefits of using hibernate vs suspend, hibernate writes all RAM data to the HDD and essentially turns off the computer. This will save the state that the computer is in until you turn it back on. Suspend does the same thing but keeps the memory in RAM (uses small amount of energy to keep the RAM powered). Suspend will return to the original state because the computer is not turned off per say. Hibernate has a slower wake up time because the computer has to read the data from the HDD back into RAM. The benefit that hibernate has over suspend is that it uses no energy, suspend uses a tiny bit to keep the RAM data.
    Last edited by Revolutionary101; May 23rd, 2012 at 08:42 PM.
    Please mark completed threads as [SOLVED] (if it's ever fixed), it makes helping others easier.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hibernate is disabled by default in 12.04 for all installs. It doesn't have anything to do with wubi

Here is how to enable it: http://askubuntu.com/questions/94754...ation-in-12-04

PS of course if you have a wubi install, then you don't need to bother as it won't work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I do not use wubi I am on a double boot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by carl4926 View Post
    I only use suspend
    Wow, really helpful! Thank you very much, that really solved my hibernation issue =D