Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: No wireless with latest ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: No wireless with latest ubuntu

I'm going to stand by; it seems that darkod can help you get the latest kernel going. Once done, I'm sure the wireless driver will install with no problems.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    Don't worry, nothing can get broken by that try. When you edit like that it's a one time thing, nothing stays permanent. That's why you would still need to activate the driver if it boots OK once.

Adding the nomodeset parameter like that is temporary, just for that boot.

You can still boot the 3.0.0 the next time if nomodeset doesn't work.

But now with the new info it seems it will.
    Ok so i just added nomodeset and there was a difference but it wasnt successfull. Now the Ubuntu startup logo appears for approx 30-40sc (alot longer than norm) then goes black screen. I can hear ubuntu loading -login sounds etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    I'm going to stand by; it seems that darkod can help you get the latest kernel going. Once done, I'm sure the wireless driver will install with no problems.
    Thanks for your time chilli. I may call on you if the wireless is still messed up after i manage to get the new kernal
    Cheers Chilli

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dannodan2008 View Post
    Thanks for your time chilli. I may call on you if the wireless is still messed up after i manage to get the new kernal
    Cheers Chilli
    No problem. I'll be watching and I'll jump in when the kernel issue is solved.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by dannodan2008 View Post
    Ok so i just added nomodeset and there was a difference but it wasnt successfull. Now the Ubuntu startup logo appears for approx 30-40sc (alot longer than norm) then goes black screen. I can hear ubuntu loading -login sounds etc.
    Oh man. That should usually do it.

OK, thos time add nomodeset again but delete 'quiet splash', both of them. In that case instead of the ubuntu screen, there will be text scrolling by while trying to boot. At the moment it stops/blocks, watch out about any specific error messages. That could give as a lead.

Try to write them or remember them, and post them if there is anything specific.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Beans

As an FYI - I have an eeepc net top and I disabled my wireless adaptor while trying to get network traffic low in my house (testing a blue ray connection to wlan) and in 12.04 it turns out there is no way to get back your wirless adapter through the GUI.

What I ended up doing was issueing the "rfkill list all" command in a terminal window - saw that it said the following:

0: eeepc-wlan Wireless LAN
    Soft blocked: yes
    Hard blocked: no

I then typed (using wisdom gained from rfkill --help)

rfkill unblock 0

and I am now up and running again.

Probably the lack of a way to re-enable the wireless adaptor should be listed as a bug?

Regards,

Jerry

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jkorten View Post
    As an FYI - I have an eeepc net top and I disabled my wireless adaptor while trying to get network traffic low in my house (testing a blue ray connection to wlan) and in 12.04 it turns out there is no way to get back your wirless adapter through the GUI.

What I ended up doing was issueing the "rfkill list all" command in a terminal window - saw that it said the following:

0: eeepc-wlan Wireless LAN
    Soft blocked: yes
    Hard blocked: no

I then typed (using wisdom gained from rfkill --help)

rfkill unblock 0

and I am now up and running again.

Probably the lack of a way to re-enable the wireless adaptor should be listed as a bug?

Regards,

Jerry
    I'm fairly confident it's a bug in the module acer-wmi. I suggest you file a bug: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234