Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why make the HUD without some logical features? How can I help add them?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Why make the HUD without some logical features? How can I help add them?

Quote Originally Posted by xedi View Post
    Exactly, looking in help files or browsing google for ages because you just can't find where option "x" is, is so so much more user friendly then hitting alt and typing in option "x"

On topic: I think the best place to propose the ideas is the ayatana mailing list but for some reason their launchpad site does not work for some reason at the moment
    https://launchpad.net/~ayatana
    The page is missing, because it's now called unity-design:

https://launchpad.net/~unity-design

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Why make the HUD without some logical features? How can I help add them?

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    Having to hit alt l then manually typing in the task you want to do is not my idea of "user friendly"
    There is a device called a mouse people!
    IMHO you are correct..I point,I click...
    And yeah,on this machine I will be using something else and on the new Linux box,I'll be doing the same...Different strokes for different folks and all.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxratty View Post
    IMHO you are correct..I point,I click...
    And yeah,on this machine I will be using something else and on the new Linux box,I'll be doing the same...Different strokes for different folks and all.
    wel;l I think therte should be a nice middle ground for power and normal users.
    I know I dont like to use the command line unless it is 100% needed

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Why make the HUD without some logical features? How can I help add them?

wel;l I think therte should be a nice middle ground for power and normal users.
    I know I dont like to use the command line unless it is 100% needed
    As do I. And I am disappointed that there is not a middle ground. People who prefer using the mouse are basically ignored in favor of keyboard users in the Unity interface. I don't like memorising keyboard short cuts and the less I have to type to get things done, the better I like it.
    As a person who likes using the mouse to navigate and likes nestled menues I can browse through,this is my main gripe. If Unity had provided for me as a mouse user,I'd be happy as a bunny in clover...But who can say..Maybe in later versions of Unity,us point and clickers will come back in favor.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Isaacgallegos View Post
    This news killed me. I'm so sad right now. I don't even care about this thread now. They can do whatever they want with Ubuntu.
    In 12.10, Unity 3D will use a new technology (forgot name) that will allow it to run on non-hardware accelerated systems. Unity 2D exists merely as a fallback to Unity 3D, so with the hardware problem gone, Unity 2D must be removed in order to cut down space and work.

I honestly dont see how HUD will ever replace traditional menus as canonical is planning, HUD is more or less for command gurus who spend all day in a terminal not for a user who just wants to get crap done.
    Having to hit alt l then manually typing in the task you want to do is not my idea of "user friendly"
    This is why I laugh at critics who calls Unity a newbie's UI. It relies on the keyboard very heavily, so it's very useful for Linux geeks (like me)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

What's the keyboard connected to your computer for, if not for typing things?

HUD, isn't finished, consider it a technology preview, that was included in the LTS version, just to future proof it. Ubuntu doesn't add new features to LTS versions over it's life time, but with 12.04 being supported for 5 years, HUD may become so compelling, that not to including it would be a shame.

Beans
    Distro

HUD is more or less for command gurus who spend all day in a terminal not for a user who just wants to get crap done.
    These sort of statements always annoy me, they are actually ill considered and wrong. The mixing up of the command line and a search term has been used against Unity and the HUD for some time.

Best thing to do if you don't like the 'command lline' is to google 'linux'.... Oh no, you have to enter a 'command line' to use google as well.....
    PC

To get a terminal command to put its output into a file use this format
    {terminal command} > {filename}

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Isaacgallegos View Post
    1) The HUD should allow the users to add tools and options not found in any drop down menu.

I know the HUD only lets you access items in dropdown menus, giving the HUD a large blind-spot. Inkscape won't let you select tools using the HUD. I should be able to add them or my favorites, at least. There are lots of little options and checkboxes found on Libreoffice and Inkscape that I wish I could turn on and off with the HUD, quickly. There should be a way to add them. Right now there seems to be no plan to add such a feature and there should be.
    HUD will support toolbar commands too, in the future. Expect it for 12.10, if not 13.04.

Adding support for other options hidden in dialog boxes would require big changes on a program-by-program basis, but it's a great idea if only everyone could be persuaded to reprogram their apps

2)Why isn't there a universal "close" command? I have to memorize which program needs "close", "quit", or "exit".
    Exit and Quit should be the same thing; HUD already supports "fuzzy logic" so it just has to be taught that Exit and Quit are the same thing. Close is different - Close potentially only operates on a window, whereas Exit and Quit will operate on a whole program.

3)Unity 2d is so stable, but it has GUI quirks that hold it back.
    As mentioned later in the thread, Unity 2D is on the way out.

4) Application shortcuts and macros should be searchable. Right? After all, there are hundreds!

There can be hundreds of shortcuts for each application we use. I generally learn the ones I need the most, but I'd love it if we could search these in the hud.
    Another good idea. No idea how it would be implemented though.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12