Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04;Samba Fast, then slow???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ubuntu 10.04;Samba Fast, then slow???

I use Ubuntu 10.4.3, I have samba installed. When I transfer to my Mac I can copy at around 34megabytes a second for around 3 min, then it drops the speed to about 2 megabytes a second. The only way I can get the increased speeds again is when I reboot my entire server. I have a 6core with about 7 gigs of ram allocated,

Note: I run Ubuntu Headless on ESXI 5.0

Is it possible that 7gigs of ram is not enough? According to the usage statistics the Procs are not being over loaded, but a lot of the ram is being used.

Wondering if any of you have any ideas, or have experienced similar issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu 10.04;Samba Fast, then slow???

Bump

Beans

That's plenty of memory for a virtual machine only serving files to a few users. Can you share other information, like what kind of files are being transferred and how many? Lots of small files can greatly reduce the throughput compared to one large file of equal size.

It could be problems unrelated to Ubuntu like the virtualization software, a bad NIC, bad switch or port, or it could be something with the Mac and how it mounted the share. By eliminating different variables you can figure out what the cause is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by lukeiamyourfather View Post
    That's plenty of memory for a virtual machine only serving files to a few users. Can you share other information, like what kind of files are being transferred and how many? Lots of small files can greatly reduce the throughput compared to one large file of equal size.

It could be problems unrelated to Ubuntu like the virtualization software, a bad NIC, bad switch or port, or it could be something with the Mac and how it mounted the share. By eliminating different variables you can figure out what the cause is.
    I was trying to transfer Video files, they are about 2 gigs a piece and I was transferring around 7 equaling to 13 gigs.

I connected to the samba via my mac as a mounted drive

Is it possible that I'm experiencing a Looping Issue regarding my switches? My network is set up as follows

I have created a Diagram to make it a little easier the switches are Unmanaged.
    The only reason why I don't think that's the problem is because like I said, it transfers at about 32megs a second for about 2 min, then drops to 2megs a second.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Thegmandrive View Post
    I was trying to transfer Video files, they are about 2 gigs a piece and I was transferring around 7 equaling to 13 gigs.

I connected to the samba via my mac as a mounted drive
    How did you perform the mount? Did you mount it via the GUI or via the command line?
    Is it possible that I'm experiencing a Looping Issue regarding my switches? My network is set up as follows
    No. Even unmanaged switches employ Spanning Tree Protocol. Plus you don't have a physical loop to begin with.
    I have created a Diagram to make it a little easier the switches are Unmanaged.
    The only reason why I don't think that's the problem is because like I said, it transfers at about 32megs a second for about 2 min, then drops to 2megs a second.

I usually mount Samba shares via the command line or via fstab if I am moving large amounts of data.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by redmk2 View Post
    I usually mount Samba shares via the command line or via fstab if I am moving large amounts of data.
    I did mount the drive via Gui, but that is a good idea, I can try mounting via the terminal commands. I will do that, and try to transfer the same data and report back

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok I mounted the samba via Mac Terminal and used the "CP" function to copy the files. It did a little better. It still started to download really fast and then slowed to about 3 megabytes a second

Note* I had to restart my server for it to initially start Fast. Is it possible this could be a memory leak of some kind?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Thegmandrive View Post
    Ok I mounted the samba via Mac Terminal and used the "CP" function to copy the files. It did a little better. It still started to download really fast and then slowed to about 3 megabytes a second

Note* I had to restart my server for it to initially start Fast. Is it possible this could be a memory leak of some kind?
    More likely its a buffer overload or an I/O problem. File transfers don't use a lot of RAM. You can check the overall load and top individual usage with htop.

The command line mount can be customized for receive/send buffers if needed. What did your mount command look like?

This could also be a hardware problem. What are we using here; Gigabit Ethernet, Fast Ethernet? What type of cable Cat5 or 6?
    Last edited by redmk2; May 24th, 2012 at 05:57 AM.

Beans

I would spend more time on other factors besides Ubuntu like the NIC or ESXi. Samba is very reliable and that's a release of Ubuntu that has been tested and proven reliable for several years. Assuming you haven't gone through and changed the Samba configuration file without knowing what each option does.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The command line mount can be customized for receive/send buffers if needed. What did your mount command look like?
    Mount Command Looks Like
    Code:
    mount -t smbfs //user@server/sharename share
    Then I used this command to copy
    Code:
    cp -Rpv Documents "Documents backup"
    This could also be a hardware problem. What are we using here; Gigabit Ethernet, Fast Ethernet? What type of cable Cat5 or 6?
    I am using a gigabit Ethernet Intel PWLA8391GT PRO/1000 GT PCI Network Adapter. And I am using Cat5E

Assuming you haven't gone through and changed the Samba configuration file without knowing what each option does.
    Before coming to this forum, I did try some extra research and did try a couple configuration Changes. Based on an Article by Samba
    For Example,I have tried adding this criteria at one point
    TCP_NODELAY
    SO_KEEPALIVE
    IPTOS_LOWDELAY

Adding this criteria did in fact increase the speeds, but then it drops again. I even tried at one point setting the socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
    but that actually decreased the speed. I just can't figure out why it will transfer at 34 megs a second for 2 min... and then it drops to 2megs a second for the rest of the time, and then I have to restart my entire system to get the 34 meg speeds again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast