Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Question for Amazon Kindle users who use Linux

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    At home
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Question for Amazon Kindle users who use Linux

    Hello,
    We're considering getting the Amazon Kindle 6" greyscale (the basic, $79 model at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051QVESA/).

    Question 1: Can the Kindle work with a Linux computer?

    Q2: Particularly, how easy is it to add PDF, HTML, JPG, PNG to your Kindle using a Linux computer?

    Q3: How do PDF, JPG and PNG look on the Kindle?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Beans
    6,542
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Question for Amazon Kindle users who use Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by hanzj View Post
    Hello,
    We're considering getting the Amazon Kindle 6" greyscale (the basic, $79 model at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051QVESA/).

    Question 1: Can the Kindle work with a Linux computer?

    Q2: Particularly, how easy is it to add PDF, HTML, JPG, PNG to your Kindle using a Linux computer?
    In answer to both, install Calibre. It'll handle transferring and converting your documents and books.

    Q3: How do PDF, JPG and PNG look on the Kindle?
    PDFs can be iffy, results vary widely. JPG and PNG are just images, so they'll be fine.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Beans
    117

    Re: Question for Amazon Kindle users who use Linux

    I have the kindle keyboard and the kindle fire. The kindle you want is not very good with pdfs & forget about using it for the web (html). For those capibilites, you really need the kindle fire. As for the linux desktop, that isn't a problem as I us a linux desktop with my kindles. And finally, it is real easy to add files to your kindle. Just drag & drop it in or Amazon gives you an Amazon email address to use with your Kindle. You just email things to your address & they will appear on your kindle. This is generally limited to wifi & NOT there wispernet or 3G.
    EeePC 701 - 4G SSD - 2G RAM - 16G SDHC Card
    hp Compaq d530 CMT - 160G - 3G RAM
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin)
    Registered Linux User: #486660

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Beans
    2

    Re: Question for Amazon Kindle users who use Linux

    Own a that specific kindle model and use Calibre all the time, just drag and drop, no worries. Since this specific model has no option to resize the text you have to edit the files in calibre to change the text.

    But (like others have said) I've had a few issues with resizing the fonts on some PDF files when trying to make it larger.

    Still worth it though!
    Last edited by Open Source Noob; May 22nd, 2012 at 03:54 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Question for Amazon Kindle users who use Linux

    PDF's work great with my Kindle 3. I have Calibre and it is great software, however for adding files to the Kindle I almost never use it. Just drag and drop files into the "documents" folder on the Kindle.
    I believe Kindle has an image viewer built in but it's an easter egg, so don't expect anything special from it.
    HTML doesn't work AFAIK.
    And if you can, it would probably make your life easier if you'd convert your PDF's and HTML to .mobi files in Calibre.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    At home
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    JPEG and PNG image files

    Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    PDFs can be iffy, results vary widely. JPG and PNG are just images, so they'll be fine.
    Paqman, if it isn't too inconvenient, could you take a photograph of your kindle displaying a JPG picture and post a link to the original JPEG file?
    Last edited by hanzj; May 22nd, 2012 at 04:13 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    At home
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Calibre

    Dear all,
    Thanks for the unanimously recommending Calibre. I plan on installing Calibre if we buy a Kindle.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    At home
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Question for Amazon Kindle users who use Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by kgarbutt View Post
    I have the kindle keyboard and the kindle fire. The kindle you want is not very good with pdfs & forget about using it for the web (html). For those capibilites, you really need the kindle fire. As for the linux desktop, that isn't a problem as I us a linux desktop with my kindles. And finally, it is real easy to add files to your kindle. Just drag & drop it in or Amazon gives you an Amazon email address to use with your Kindle. You just email things to your address & they will appear on your kindle. This is generally limited to wifi & NOT there wispernet or 3G.
    Thanks, kgarbutt.

    Is there a charge for using the Kindle email address? I can't recall exactly, but I vaguely remember reading that Kindle charges extra for some service.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Omicron Persei 8
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Question for Amazon Kindle users who use Linux

    No. You have to set one up initially anyway. I have never been charged.
    "All right amatuer hour's over. Let me show you why they call me the Velour Fog...."
    .:GitHub:.|.:Dropbox:.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Beans
    6,542
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: JPEG and PNG image files

    Quote Originally Posted by hanzj View Post
    Paqman, if it isn't too inconvenient, could you take a photograph of your kindle displaying a JPG picture and post a link to the original JPEG file?
    No need. Just check out the Kindle screensaver to see it displaying an image. You basically get a nice greyscale picture.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •