Thread: Cant install Ubuntu 12.04 as a guest system with vmware work.8 on windows 7

Beans

Unhappy Cant install Ubuntu 12.04 as a guest system with vmware work.8 on windows 7

Hello please help! I use windows 7 64bit and have installed vmware workstation 8. I wanted to install as a guest OS through vmware a copy of ubuntu.iso. Everything goes well util i reach the place where tools are about to be installed. Appereantly i have the tools installed i checked but when i reach this part of the instalation something like a command promp appears saying that at currently my tools tools are being installed but if i wish i can use the terminal and i should wait for the graphical envirounment to load. 30 minutes have passed and nothing happened. This is not normal(i think). I can provide a screenshot later if its neccessary. Thank you in advance. Lets solve this so i can use my ubuntu without reset each time

Beans

Red face Re: Cant install Ubuntu 12.04 as a guest system with vmware work.8 on windows 7

So nobody has ever had such a problem?!?!?!?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: Cant install Ubuntu 12.04 as a guest system with vmware work.8 on windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by vazduxosbra4kania View Post
    So nobody has ever had such a problem?!?!?!?
    Probably there aren't many as a real install is preferred for many reasons.

Anyways, can you please provide us with the screenshot you promised earlier?

Beans

Thank you so much for the response. I was losing hope . As i am at work now i will provide the screenshot later. In the meantime can you for example tell me the top 3 reason why i should use real installed Ubuntu (may be i can reconsider vmware install). And i have 6GB Ram with real install should i use 64-bit ubuntu....?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

There isn't anything like top 3 reasons because that all depends on your needs. If it is a productive system, I would go for a real install as it would be running on the actual hardware rather than in a Virtual Machine environment and would obviously perform quite better.

I didn't mean that you shouldn't go for a virtual install. You obviously know what you want to do with that install and what would be better. I meant that there aren't many people around here, probably, who might have tried installing Ubuntu in VMWare on a Windows host and thus know the solutions to what you are facing.

Later, when you provide the screenshot, we'll try to see if it is a general Ubuntu installation problem and would try to help the best way we can. But if it is a VMware specific problem, the question probably needs to go to their forums unless some other mate jumps in this thread who's got the experience.

And it depends on your CPU architecture. If it is 64-bit capable, you should go for 64-bit Ubuntu. Accessing huge amounts of RAM is possible with 32-bit Ubuntu as well, as the PAE-Kernel is available on the default installation image.
    Last edited by sikander3786; May 23rd, 2012 at 09:07 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sikander3786 View Post
    There isn't anything like top 3 reasons because that all depends on your needs. If it is a productive system, I would go for a real install as it would be running on the actual hardware rather than in a Virtual Machine environment and would obviously perform quite better.

I didn't mean that you shouldn't go for a virtual install. You obviously know what you want to do with that install and what would be better. I meant that there aren't many people around here, probably, who might have tried installing Ubuntu in VMWare on a Windows host and thus know the solutions to what you are facing.

Later, when you provide the screenshot, we'll try to see if it is a general Ubuntu installation problem and would try to help the best way we can. But if it is a VMware specific problem, the question probably needs to go to their forums unless some other mate jumps in this thread who's got the experience.

And it depends on your CPU architecture. If it is 64-bit capable, you should go for 64-bit Ubuntu. Accessing huge amounts of RAM is possible with 32-bit Ubuntu as well, as the PAE-Kernel is available on the default installation image.
    Thank you for the info.