Thread: What happen with Banshee?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

What happen with Banshee?

SO I installed Ubuntu 12.04 and I am in love with Ubuntu all over again. The only thing I do not understand is why Ubuntu went back to rhythmbox? I know some people do not like Banshee but I felt it was a all around better media player being that it has Amazon mp3 player, easier to edit tracks and me personally I have less error when I sync my music to my smart phone.

Do not get me wrong, I installed banshee I was just wondering why Ubuntu decided to switch up media players again being that they started with rhythmbox and moved to Banshee just a few releases ago.

Beans

Re: What happen with Banshee?

Banshee was much slower and heaver than Rhythmbox. Banshee never worked well for me and to that you can add that Rhythmbox is the default music player for Gnome (i.e. it requires less work to get it integrated). One of the first things on my ToDo list in 11.10 was to remove Banshee altogether. I think the only reason why Banshee became the default for 11.10 was because of a loud minority and it was a mistake for the majority of people.

As you mentioned, Banshee is still available to anyone who wishes to use it. I personally don't think that the default set of applications is all that important anyway.