Thread: Ubuntu and Unity on Laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Ubuntu and Unity on Laptop

Just wanted to share this....

I have an ASUS G60V gaming laptop (a little older, but still works great) with Windows 7.

I had been curious about how Linux would work on it - so I thought I would give it a shot and use one of the partitions. Tried Mint first because that's what I use on my desktop - but couldn't get it too boot at start up (the CD to install that is).

I had gone to Mint because I absolutely hated Unity. Too me it felt like Canonical was using us as beta testers for a future tablet OS.

So anyway, I gave up trying to get other distro's to install and went with my Ubuntu 12.04 install disk. Installed without a hitch. No problems at all.

In fact I was VERY pleasantly surprised at just how smooth it installed and runs on the laptop. I'm a gamer and have always had issues with Everquest 2. But, it runs so smoothly that I can run the game in "extreme" without any lag or problems.

The more I play with Unity the less I hate it. In fact the more I use it the more I am liking it. It is pretty easy to navigate. Now, granted I miss a true menu button and don't really like having to start typing the name of the program I want. I guess in a way it is nice to break away from the typical type of desktop we have all used for years and years.

Now the couple of things I didn't like. As Linux users - we expect the freedom of choice. I didn't like that Unity was it. BUT - seems that with 12.10 Canonical is going provide for Gnome 3.6 (so the rumors say) which is great.

But, the point of this is how amazed I am at how well Ubuntu 12.04 installed on the laptop. The ONLY "tweaking" I had to do was activate my Nvidia drivers.... that's it. Everything.... everything including the touch pad mouse worked "out of the box."

It's just interesting how different distros are more friendly to different types of systems. On my desktop? Ubuntu was a pain. Mint installed flawlessly. On my laptop. Mint wouldn't even boot to install. Ubuntu installed flawlessly.

So, I had a couple of questions for you all - I know there are some Unity haters and some Unity lovers and I am sure this topic has already been beaten to death but I am going to ask anyway.

Do you think we're not giving Unity a fair chance? Isn't it a good thing to be innovative and start breaking away from what we're used to in order to progress? If we never leave Gnome or that type of desktop then how are we ever to take the next step?

Why do you think some distros are more friendly to desktops versus laptops?

All conspiracy theories aside - do you think Unity is a potential for the tablet market in Canonical's eyes?
    "Only because the richest software company on the planet is utterly incompetent, and incapable of building a secure operating system. -- Carla Schroder

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu and Unity on Laptop

Thread moved to Recurring.

I have heard many once Unity haters come around and become great supporters of it. Also, Gnome-shell is a few clicks or commands in CLI away so you still have all the choice in the world

Beans

It just depends on your equipment. I have 3 laptops on with Ubuntu 12.04 and one laptop with Mint 12.04. At this time I will not post my findings.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, I am really starting to like it.

I think I'll forgo getting Gnome "back" and use Unity for a bit more and see how it works out.

I am still blown away by how well Ubuntu runs on the laptop. I have used Linux off and on for years and years, but always had to tweak this or tweak that.. but this is the first time I have installed a distro that just completely 100% worked without having to really do anything. I'm very impressed.
    "Only because the richest software company on the planet is utterly incompetent, and incapable of building a secure operating system. -- Carla Schroder

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ExSuSEusr View Post
    Do you think we're not giving Unity a fair chance?
    I think alot of people aren't. To me, it uses the keyboard more efficiently than any other DE. The Super key, then a couple letters and smack enter and I can open any program in less time than it takes to move the mouse cursor over a menu...

Quote Originally Posted by ExSuSEusr View Post
    All conspiracy theories aside - do you think Unity is a potential for the tablet market in Canonical's eyes?
    Maybe, but that doesn't make it any less useful on a desktop. On a tablet I'd definitely miss using a keyboard for the dash, and some of the very helpful shortcuts.

Beans
    Distro

My 5-year old acer takes it just fine.
    "Everything that has a beginning, has an end." --an unexpectedly wise wallpaper

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

If there's a decent tablet UI, then it would be GNOME Shell. Unity relies on keyboard too heavily to get on a tablet (but we'll see about that)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    If there's a decent tablet UI, then it would be GNOME Shell. Unity relies on keyboard too heavily to get on a tablet (but we'll see about that)
    This is why I find the argument that Unity is a cell phone or tablet UI is so baffling to me. I love it precisely because it incorporates so much keyboard action. I'd go nuts with it if I tried to just use the mouse. Keyboard makes is great!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I absolutely LOVE unity. I use a dock on my Windows partition, so I was already used to having my programs in that setup. I love how the keyboard works with Unity and I love the level of customization that Ubuntu as a whole has compared to Windows.