Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (10.04LTS) Unable to get Intel Wireless to work

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: (10.04LTS) Unable to get Intel Wireless to work

Please mark the thread solved using 'thread tools'.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    All you will need to do is the ucode firmware. The particular version you need, iwlwifi-100-5.ucode, isn't included by default in 10.04. The driver is.In what way?
    I meant by the updating by upgrading to a newer version of xubuntu or ubuntu (like 10.04 > 12.04), not only do the new ones bog my system down, but since 10.10 ubuntu no longer allows me to run linux programs off my flash drive (wont let me run them as a executable no matter how hard I try, even with sudo and other terminal commands to manually over-ride file parameters)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

since 10.10 ubuntu no longer allows me to run linux programs off my flash drive (wont let me run them as a executable no matter how hard I try, even with sudo and other terminal commands to manually over-ride file parameters)
    Files on your flash drive are probably written as read only. Perhaps if you drag and drop the files to your desktop, select Properties and make it executable, it might work better. This is pretty far from my specialty, so I don't know for sure, but I'd try.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    Files on your flash drive are probably written as read only. Perhaps if you drag and drop the files to your desktop, select Properties and make it executable, it might work better. This is pretty far from my specialty, so I don't know for sure, but I'd try.
    That doesnt work, after 10.04 the developers of Ubuntu put their foot down after people complained about the lack of privialages preventing people from executing EVERYTHING on external devices, which in some cases could be hazardous (I guess).

So because of this I have to stick with 10.04 because so far I have not found a way to enable running linux programs on external devices without manually mounting them, which I dont like doing because after a device is removed I cannot mount it until I reboot.

Also, like I said, the newer Ubuntu's don't play nice with the low-powered hardware in my netbook.
    (Intel Atom CPU (1.66Ghz Hyper Threaded), 2GB DDR3 SODIMM, Intel GMA 3150 Graphics (128 MB VRAM), Realtek audio and ethernet, Intel Centrino Wireless N100, 10" LCD monitor with 1024x600 native)

Any ways I got my wifi in Xubuntu 10.04 and I just finished putting all the commands I need into a text along with the files needed.

Bascially I need to compile and install the compatibility patch here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...0#post11822990 and then I need to do the stuff mentioned here. That way in the future if I have to reinstall 10.04 I'll know what to do.

BTW Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12