Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: GMA500 (Poulsbo) gma500_gfx

Beans

Re: GMA500 (Poulsbo) gma500_gfx

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    If there is no output then you are not using the gma500_gfx, it is built and working.
    What dou you mean?
    I have installed 3.4 from mainline as you know and there is just no module inside and it was booting me into 800x600 with vesa or something like that

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by thermatk View Post
    What dou you mean?
    I have installed 3.4 from mainline as you know and there is just no module inside and it was booting me into 800x600 with vesa or something like that
    The mainline kernel you installed is maintained by the Ubuntu kernel team. It is intended for testing only.

The kernel team did not enable the gma500_gfx module in the kernel .config , so it is not enabled.

You need to file a bug report with the kernel team and ask them to enable the gma500_gfx for the mainline kernel build or build a custom kernel yourself.

IMO a better option is to test the 3.4 kernel wither on 12.10 or Fedora 17.

Keep in mind we do not support custom kernels.

Building and using a custom kernel will make it very difficult to get support for your system.

While it is a learning experience to compile your own kernel, you will not be allowed to file bugs on the custom-built kernel (if you do, they will be Rejected without further explanation).
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile

And

The mainline kernels builds are produced for debugging purposes and therefore come with no support. Use them at your own risk.
    So while you are free to build kernels and learn to do so, support is limited at best. If the kernel team is not offering support ...

I think you are better off filing a bug report.

Why are you trying to use the 3.4 kernel ? Why are your building a custom kernel ?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Lightbulb Re: GMA500 (Poulsbo) gma500_gfx

godfazr,ubuntu mainline has no gma500_gfx built in You should compile it with the module for yourself. That's what I'm trying to do atm
    Hello,

On my computer, this works very fine (and faster) with 3.4 from Quantal. I followed these instructions :
    http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/05/how-...stable-on.html

N.B : just after that, I removed Quantal lines from my sources.list to avoid unwanted updates… I think it would be possible to tune apt preferences, but I don't think all that is really supported.

Hope this will help.

Beans

Nice day!
    I have finally achieved success in installing Quantal kernel too and another problem I want to solve now is that the backlight brightness on my t91mt is still not easy to change.
    There are some script workarounds but what about a hardcoded variant?
    I have rebuilt gsd-backlight-helper with hardcoded psb-bl and it's really working!!!
    So, for those who are fed up with all these scripts and console brightness...
    download the file, unzip it and move the program with something like
    Code:
    sudo cp gsd-backlight-helper /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon
    It will be immidiately available for changing brightness and make you happy
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Hi!
    Have you suspend working under 3.4? For me there is a regression in this kernel...

Beans

An explanation for my workaround to make backlight be set natively with the keys:
    Get the sources of gnome-settings-daemon:
    Code:
    apt-get source gnome-settings-daemon
    It's probably in your home folder, go there and in plugins/power you will find gsd-backlight-helper.c.
    That's the file that should be edited, so open it with gedit and you will see c-code.
    There are two functions which should give the program path to the backlight changer. I can't fix them to work properly for everyone as I don't know C/C++ but i was able to replace them with simply a return to the needed psb-bl, which is enough for all the users of gma500 who have the problem.
    Than, compilation as usual and the only file we need is the one I provided previously that should be placed in the folder with actually working gsd.
    If anyone knows what to do with these functions to make a proper fix which can be uploaded as a patch, that would be better... but for now it's enough to replace it once and fel like everything is fixed.
    Original code:
    Code:
    static gchar *
    gsd_backlight_helper_get_type (GList *devices, const gchar *type)
    {
    	const gchar *type_tmp;
    	GList *d;

for (d = devices; d != NULL; d = d->next) {
    		type_tmp = g_udev_device_get_sysfs_attr (d->data, "type");
    		if (g_strcmp0 (type_tmp, type) == 0)
    			return g_strdup (g_udev_device_get_sysfs_path (d->data));
    	}
    	return NULL;
    }

static gchar *
    gsd_backlight_helper_get_best_backlight ()
    {
    	gchar *path = NULL;
    	GList *devices;
    	GUdevClient *client;

client = g_udev_client_new (NULL);
    	devices = g_udev_client_query_by_subsystem (client, "backlight");
    	if (devices == NULL) {
    		g_warning ("failed to find any devices");
    		goto out;
    	}

/* search the backlight devices and prefer the types:
    	 * firmware -> platform -> raw */
    	path = gsd_backlight_helper_get_type (devices, "firmware");
    	if (path != NULL)
    		goto out;
    	path = gsd_backlight_helper_get_type (devices, "platform");
    	if (path != NULL)
    		goto out;
    	path = gsd_backlight_helper_get_type (devices, "raw");
    	if (path != NULL)
    		goto out;
    out:
    	g_object_unref (client);
    	g_list_foreach (devices, (GFunc) g_object_unref, NULL);
    	g_list_free (devices);
    	return path;
    }

Beans

Hi!
    Have you suspend working under 3.4? For me there is a regression in this kernel...
    In my case, I didn't ever have suspend working…

Beans

Hmm, when I choose 3.2.0 to boot it suspends with the fix about quirk-vbemode-restore
    But with 3.4 it's just hanging with black screen and bright backlight and won't go suspend... and even resume from this state

Beans

hi i am using a sony vaio vpc-p
    my backlight/display is 70% of the time flickering
    resolution is 1600x768
    i dont know if its backlight or the pixels, but changing of brightness doesnt affect flickering.
    if you get close enough you can see diagonale lines on bright areas.
    i am not sure if they are related to the flickering.
    i am using ubuntu 12.04

it is extremely hard to find information for my laptop

Beans

I wanted to report the state of my Sony Vaio P series VGN-P788K. I tested with a 12.04 32-bit install with all updates as of 2012-05-28 applied. The kernels used were 3.2.0-24 from precise and 3.4.0-3 from quantal.

Graphics
    • 3.2: Boots to black screen. Switching to another tty then back to tty7 brings up graphics. They are always broken; only the upper half of the screen is used.
    • 3.2 with console=tty1: Switching to another tty then back to tty7 brings up graphics. They are usually correct, but sometimes only the left two-thirds of the screen is used.
    • 3.4: Switching to another tty then back to tty7 brings up graphics. They are always correct.
    • 3.4 with console=tty1: No different than 3.4 without this option.

Suspend and Resume

• 3.2: Suspend and resume work out of the box.
    • 3.4: Suspend does not work. Although the screen goes blank, the laptop never suspends. I tried all the possible quirk options to pm-suspend but none changed this behavior.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast