Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 Drops Aero

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Windows 8 Drops Aero

I actually do think the glass is distracting in the sense that it reduces readability of objects on the screen - you're seeing backgrounded windows through the one you're working with and so on. It doesn't really lead to conscious confusion, but it does mean your brain has to work just a little harder to interpret the environment. And yeah, I'd agree with Harris that the glass is mostly an artifact of the time and seems rather kitschy now, rather like the Linux equivalents.

I happen to really like rounded corners, but they wouldn't make sense in context of Metro. The clashing visual styles were something I found odd about the previews, and this theme certainly isn't exciting, but it matches the flat look of Metro, and it's functional and gets out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdopolis
    Anyway, I think it's bad that they're removing even more customisability from their OS...
    I wouldn't really see the point in retaining a Classic mode. It wouldn't save any cycles over the new flat theme. Frankly, I don't really see a difference - this one is white instead of grey, and it doesn't have the nostalgia of the weird prism-shaded buttons, but it's not really any more visually complex than the Windows 95 look. It's like legitimately improving something instead of throwing more CPU cycles at it. = ) I actually like the difference in the window border between active and inactive windows.

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp
    Aero was one of the best things they did in a long time. Everything I hear about Win8 makes me like it less. I wonder how much of the api they'll be breaking by doing this. Hopefully they'll have some transitional stuff in there to make it more backward compatible.
    Aero Snap (starting with 7) was one of the best things to ever happen on Windows, yes. Aero Glass (starting with Vista) was certainly an improvement over the puffy XP look, but it's just a compositor feature, and removing it couldn't possibly affect compatibility. It's also worth pointing out that the only reason the desktop app exists is as a compatibility mode for apps written against Windows 7 and earlier, so I imagine the compatibility will be quite smooth.
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; May 21st, 2012 at 01:47 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    It's also worth pointing out that the only reason the desktop app exists is as a compatibility mode for apps written against Windows 7 and earlier, so I imagine the compatibility will be quite smooth.
    Desktop app won't go away, not for games like Diablo III, Torchlight II, Ys Series, MMORPGs, etc. We still need it, and will always need it. If Microsoft removes that feature, games will either have to go touch, or go to Linux. Don't know how MMORPGs will handle that though.
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This is all really fascinating and hilarious.

Loved how the "propaganda" piece really focused on how the general populace historically rejected so many of Microsoft's 'innovations' like the mouse or the Start button. The implication being that Metro is just another 'Start Button' and that eventually the world will wonder at the obviousness of Metro and the backward stupidity of modern day critics (and users). It's all there. Here are all of our other innovations, they say during the retrospective. Are you going to be such ninny-poo Luddites as to reject metro too? Of course, I note, they never mentioned their other great innovation: Microsoft Bob.

I also have to laugh at those who find Aero kitschy. I wonder if some of those critics are also the same ones who tirelessly pointed out that Microsoft's Aero imitated KDE. Does this mean, now, that KDE should now be known as the ultimate Kitschy Desktop Environment. I mean, nobody does Aero like KDE. They're, XXX, hard core when it comes to see through. Now that MS has retreated from Aero, I wonder if KDE is going to start feeling like that guy in the Disco outfit, with the bell-bottom jeans and sideburns, who gets it all down about two decades too late. I can just hear the KDE devs: But, but, but... wait a minute...?!?

And what about all those curves that MS got rid of. Is Gnome going to have an identity crisis? Gnome Shell is nothing if not exaggeratedly plushy and bloated with curves. They've even tried to throw in some Aero. Microsoft has cleaned up and streamlined its aesthetic while Linux DE's, as if two decades too late, have shown up in Disco bell-bottoms and sweaty sideburns. The Unity lens is nothing if not an orgy of Aero extravagance. And then there's the Enlightenment DE with all its glitter, gloss, and glam. Ta-Da! What? Are the sixties over? If Enlightenment can just stay in BETA for another decade, tastes will come around, by Gad! Someday, Enlightenment will rule the world. You'll see.

Full disclosure: I like Aero.

But 8's clean look is a nice change. Of course... I know, I know... they got it from open box.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    And what about all those curves that MS got rid of. Is Gnome going to have an identity crisis? Gnome Shell is nothing if not exaggeratedly plushy and bloated with curves. They've even tried to throw in some Aero. Microsoft has cleaned up and streamlined its aesthetic while Linux DE's, as if two decades too late, have shown up in Disco bell-bottoms and sweaty sideburns. The Unity lens is nothing if not an orgy of Aero extravagance. And then there's the Enlightenment DE with all its glitter, gloss, and glam. Ta-Da! What? Are the sixties over? If Enlightenment can just stay in BETA for another decade, tastes will come around, by Gad! Someday, Enlightenment will rule the world. You'll see.
    You do realize you don't need LEFT BBcode, don't you?

Also, about the above quote. If GNOME still retains curves. This means that GNOME-tan will have to be a sexy curvy woman.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Lucradia View Post
    You do realize you don't need LEFT BBcode, don't you?
    ? I have zero clue as to how the LEFT BBcode got there?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucradia View Post
    Also, about the above quote. If GNOME still retains curves. This means that GNOME-tan will have to be a sexy curvy woman.
    I'm ready. Sunglasses are on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I also have to laugh at those who find Aero kitschy. I wonder if some of those critics are also the same ones who tirelessly pointed out that Microsoft's Aero imitated KDE. Does this mean, now, that KDE should now be known as the ultimate Kitschy Desktop Environment. I mean, nobody does Aero like KDE. They're, XXX, hard core when it comes to see through. Now that MS has retreated from Aero, I wonder if KDE is going to start feeling like that guy in the Disco outfit, with the bell-bottom jeans and sideburns, who gets it all down about two decades too late. I can just hear the KDE devs: But, but, but... wait a minute...?!?
    Kitschy Desktop Environment
    Oh my God, yes. It's perfect.

And what about all those curves that MS got rid of. Is Gnome going to have an identity crisis? Gnome Shell is nothing if not exaggeratedly plushy and bloated with curves. They've even tried to throw in some Aero.
    Well, not really. The transparent effects in Gnome are securely restrained to the Shell, where they're added to the Big Black Blocks taken from Palm and Android. I don't know if it helps, but I think they're meant to read more as "holographic" than as "glass."

I don't put the simple gradients used in Adwaita in the same category as Aero's surfaces. Gnome does still use a lot of widgets meant to look like physical controls, though.

Microsoft has cleaned up and streamlined its aesthetic while Linux DE's, as if two decades too late, have shown up in Disco bell-bottoms and sweaty sideburns. The Unity lens is nothing if not an orgy of Aero extravagance. And then there's the Enlightenment DE with all its glitter, gloss, and glam. Ta-Da! What? Are the sixties over? If Enlightenment can just stay in BETA for another decade, tastes will come around, by Gad! Someday, Enlightenment will rule the world. You'll see.

Full disclosure: I like Aero.

But 8's clean look is a nice change. Of course... I know, I know... they got it from open box.
    Yeah, really, I think that reaction is the trend. It was neat for a while for the UIs to show off when it became possible, and then it got a bit cliché, enough that something clean and simple seemed like a relief. Part of why I thought Unity seemed a bit odd in contrast to Shell, even before the first peeks at Windows 8 were released. But there's a lot of difference of opinion even here in this thread, so I don't get a sense of anyone stampeding around in herds, here.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm ready. Sunglasses are on.
    Bring the idea up over at ostan-collections.net

or the item-chan DeviantART Group: http://item-chan.deviantart.com/

Beans

I read this as "Well, Apple and Google beat us on the tablet space, so now we're going to just pretend it is irrelevant."

What a bunch of little, screaming babies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

No aero humph, I want my never used windows 7 purdy, bright, shiny and transparent gui when I stop by to look at it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Aero was awful. . i always used the windows classic look when using a windows box.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast