Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: why Xubuntu 12.04 LTS applications crash?

Beans

Re: why Xubuntu 12.04 LTS applications crash?

Quote Originally Posted by rai4shu2 View Post
    Oh really?

I've seen a lot of vague reports, but no one ever posts precisely what's going on with their system. I've seen system freezes, but only on ATI machines running with Catalyst. I think many of these reports are caused by AMD's lackluster support for OpenCL.
    Well all my machines are running ATI graphics cards. But some are old like a T41 Thinkpad with an ATI Mobile 7000 series. My server has an ATI Radeon 9250. Another has a integrated 4250, and another has a discreet 5450 because I became tired of the limitations of the Intel graphics chip integrated into the motherboard.

I don't know if OpenCL is even a factor in the older cards.

I haven't personally had system freezes. More often either a piece of software hits a snag when it starts, or the crash indication happens when I exit the program.

One program. MyPaint, wouldn't start and set off apport. I went to GetDeb for the latest version on offer and the problem was solved.

XBMC runs into an error on program exit. Otherwise it runs just fine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I must admit I switched back to Ubuntu because of crashes with Xubuntu 12.04lts.
    Ubuntu & Kubuntu run smoothly without hitch, as did Xubuntu 11.10.
    But in Xubuntu 12.04, many crashes, usually it was cairo-dock, so I switched to Docky, but same issue. I also recall other apps crashing as well. That and the fact I could never get system sounds to work sent me back to Ubuntu & Unity, which I find rock solid.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cottfcfan View Post
    I must admit I switched back to Ubuntu because of crashes with Xubuntu 12.04lts.
    Ubuntu & Kubuntu run smoothly without hitch, as did Xubuntu 11.10.
    But in Xubuntu 12.04, many crashes, usually it was cairo-dock, so I switched to Docky, but same issue. I also recall other apps crashing as well. That and the fact I could never get system sounds to work sent me back to Ubuntu & Unity, which I find rock solid.
    But what is there that is so fundamentally different between those three desktop environments. I mean I use KDE on my Xubuntu install and get the same sorts of errors so I would think it's not the DE that causing issues.

Maybe I'm wrong and there is something in Xubuntu that is tripping programs up that wouldn't be in Ubuntu or Kubuntu. I don't know for sure since I always install Xubuntu as my base and then KDE as another DE that I run from time to time instead of XFCE.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/default/apport
    Change enabled from "0" to a "1" so it looks like this:

enabled=1

To turn it off make it:

enabled=0

to turn it off at boot, and then turn it off with a
    Code:
    sudo service apport stop

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I too had crashes in tumblerd every few minutes. I isolated that problem to having thumbnails turn on in Thunar and viewing directories with media files, usually any directory containing media files. I also had crashes in colord, but not as regularly as the crashes with tumblerd.

My solution was to turn off thumbnails in the File Manager settings and I also removed all traces of tumbler with Synaptic. Removing tumbler also removed xubuntu-desktop, which was fine by me since updates will not not pull tumbler back in.

I've had zero crashes since then, my Thunar surfing is faster, and I do not have to wait for useless thumbnails to load, eating all my memory, spiking my CPU usage, and causing application crashes. Good by tumbler!

Reading up on the launchpad about tumbler, it has been buggy for years.
    XFCE, From Now On!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123