Thread: Best Ubuntu Gnome/Tweaked Distro?

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Best Ubuntu Gnome/Tweaked Distro?

I was just checking out Linux Deepin. Anyone using it?

Also, do most simply go with Gnome Shell on stock Ubuntu, or do any of you have favorite distros that tweak Gnome Shell? I ask just 'cause I enjoy knowing what's out there and the differences.

Beans

Re: Best Ubuntu Gnome/Tweaked Distro?

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    I was just checking out Linux Deepin.
    Also, do most simply go with Gnome Shell on stock Ubuntu, or do any of you have favorite distros that tweak Gnome Shell? I ask just 'cause I enjoy knowing what's out there and the differences.
    Arguably the best distro for gnome-shell is fedora because it is the native desktop and most of the gnome/gnome-shell designers and developers work for Red Hat.

However, I much prefer a debian based distro so I use ubuntu. Gnome-shell is trivial to install and reasonably well supported on 12.04 although some compatability issues (e.g. bug 965921) are quite annoying and show a clear disregard by ubuntu to maintain gnome-shell compatibility.

I installed debian testing upgraded to unstable yesterday to see what gnome-shell was like in the very latest debian but it was a poor result. Still running gnome-shell 3.2 in debian unstable and it lacked a lot of the aesthetic polish ubuntu provides.