Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dumping Chrome/Chromium because of 12.04...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Dumping Chrome/Chromium because of 12.04...

I worry about using a Flash that isn't updated for security.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Security updates are the only updates non-Pepper Flash is getting over the next five years.

I'm totally addicted to Chrome for other reasons, but I don't think there's any reason to switch based on Flash support. If Flash starts being (more) terrible in Firefox before it disappears, switch then.

Now that I'm on 12.04, I really ought to try using Unity for a day or two. I'm really hooked on Shell, and it's slightly improved in the 3.4 version, but I never really played with Unity extensively even on 11.04, and I really do want to give the HUD a go, because it's a very unique and potentially powerful feature. I mean, to me, it's more or less the one big thing Unity has to offer in contrast to Shell.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary101 View Post
    I would disagree with this because of the fact that Adobe has dropped flash support for Linux and the only way to use flash on Linux is to use Chrome. Here is a brief article about it:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Adobe...e-254483.shtml

Since flash will only become bundled with Google Chrome in upcoming months/years, it will be the most supported browser under Linux. HUD functionality or not, I would prefer a web browser that can render all pages without problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    Flash still works in FireFox. My understanding is that Flash will continue to work in Firefox for a few years yet. What won't work are versions of Flash newer than the current 11.xxxx.xxx. Seems like it depends on whether web devs add web page functions that require a flash version newer than what is currently supported.
    kurt18947 is exactly right. They're not just going to snoop into our computers and maliciously remove the Flash 11 that we already have installed. They're going to keep updating that version for us. Almost everything huge on the web that uses Flash (YouTube, Hulu, BBC, Addicting Games, ...) has a minimum requirement of v.10, and some even older versions. We'll be able to keep using Firefox, or whatever we want for a long, long time.

Quote Originally Posted by lancest View Post
    I worry about using a Flash that isn't updated for security.
    They're continuing security updates for 5 years. A lot changes in 5 years. By that time, most things will be html5 or something else we can use.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    You made a huge mistake in your choice of title and your comments about browsers because now this thread will be on two issues, browser A versus browser B and the features of Dash/HUD. I suspect you're more interested in the latter but wanted to draw interest with the former. Let's see how it plays out.
    And it ended up another flash thread........

Beans
    Hidden!

I dumped Chrome a long time ago:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1758275
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    And it ended up another flash thread........
    Maybe Isaac learns something from the experience

Beans

Gave IE a trial then Chrome both were installed with the laptop i just bought.dumped both and installed Firefox
    Last edited by Gremlinzzz; May 21st, 2012 at 03:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Maybe Isaac learns something from the experience
    Yup. Ubuntu forums rule #1: Remember to enjoy yourself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    Flash still works in FireFox. My understanding is that Flash will continue to work in Firefox for a few years yet. What won't work are versions of Flash newer than the current 11.xxxx.xxx. Seems like it depends on whether web devs add web page functions that require a flash version newer than what is currently supported.

Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    Except that Flash on Firefox is still supported for 5 years, and when support ends, HTML5 will have taken over.
    I was unaware of both of these points. I thought that Adobe was dropping Linux Flash support entirely (including updates to the current version. I guess you learn something new everyday.
    Please mark completed threads as [SOLVED] (if it's ever fixed), it makes helping others easier.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

HUD completed the global minu

i have no idea about chrome.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast