Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: finding the HUD to be pretty useless

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

finding the HUD to be pretty useless

I've ended up disabling the HUD because I find it useless. It never finds what I want and I realized I was spending enormous amounts of time putzing with it trying to find what I wanted. whereas with the old traditional menus I move much much quicker and know where I'm going once I look them over.

I do really, really like the Global Menus that show on the Panel when a window is maximized though. I think this is one of the greatest things about Unity.

IMHO Unity is best with Traditional Menus that display on the Panel on maximized windows and no HUD

Anybody disagree? Where do you find HUD useful?
    Idea #26902: Give users "global control" over applications' outgoing internet connections
    http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/26902

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: finding the HUD to be pretty useless

Big applications make it worthwhile. If you spend any serious time with the likes of inkscape, the GIMP, or any of the libreoffice-* applications, it usually saves a lot of time, particularly after aa bit of practice.

But for everyday uses, I have to say I also find it a bit useless. But definitely a step forward in terms of design.

Beans

try using single letters with spaces to hunt what your looking for for example in GEdit. F (space) O goes to File Open. Though some menus are seriously not that friendly. It could use some improvement, but its getting there.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Agreed. I tried it and found it useless. I suspect it's useful to power users? Libre Office allows me to assign keystrokes to more commonly used features.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    Agreed. I tried it and found it useless. I suspect it's useful to power users? Libre Office allows me to assign keystrokes to more commonly used features.
    with LibreOffice I always use the context-menu key to access shortcuts, like to get to font, size, bold, etc.
    Idea #26902: Give users "global control" over applications' outgoing internet connections

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Most of the time HUD doesn't even work. Like just the other day I'm in LibreOffice and I use HUD to type "export". It can find nothing with export in it. Yet when I open the File menu, there's two Export options.

Obviously, it's not fully baked.

The thing that irks me is that when I disable HUD using the System Settings keyboard section, it "breaks" the traditional menus. Like tapping Alt+T A will not work to open Firefox add-ons if HUD is disabled. Yet with HUD enabled, this shortcut works fine.

Was really hoping for a bug-free LTS experience but still not there. Hopefully T will be better.

Beans

The HUD is more interesting then it is practical

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by nrundy View Post
    Most of the time HUD doesn't even work. Like just the other day I'm in LibreOffice and I use HUD to type "export". It can find nothing with export in it. Yet when I open the File menu, there's two Export options.

Obviously, it's not fully baked.

The thing that irks me is that when I disable HUD using the System Settings keyboard section, it "breaks" the traditional menus. Like tapping Alt+T A will not work to open Firefox add-ons if HUD is disabled. Yet with HUD enabled, this shortcut works fine.

Was really hoping for a bug-free LTS experience but still not there. Hopefully T will be better.
    MS was quoted as saying it's optional. And I suspect a work in progress.

Beans

I don't use it regularly but it has come in handy. E.g. I never can remember how to crop in GIMP (don't laugh ), but with HUD I find the crop tool fast. I forgot what exactly but I wanted to find some option in firefox the other day and didn't know where it is because I usually use Chrome, so HUD helped me out there too

It's not (yet) the revolution but I do think it is already useful today and has potential.

BTW It works with LibreOffice if you install the lo-menubar. Hopefully LibreOffice will have global menus by Ubuntu 12.10

Beans

After posting this some moments ago, I find myself using HUD a lot in shotwell Publishing a single picture you are looking at and undoing stuff works very well with HUD.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast