Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Update from natty narwhal to 12.04 failed....can't reboot!

Beans

Update from natty narwhal to 12.04 failed....can't reboot!

Hello,
    I have a notebook dell xps m1330. Originally powerd with windows vista. With a lot of difficulties i get rid of vista and I've installed ubuntu 11 natty narwhal.
    I was very happy, was working very well, but I yesterday I decided to update to the 12.04 release. I've proceeded with the normal updating procedure but during the installation of the updates, it get stuck, stop there for half a day and then the computer shut off by itself.
    Now when I try to reboot it tells me

/lib/x86_64-Linux-gnu/Libc.50.6: version 'GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /lib/libply.50.2)
    General error mounting file system
    A maintenance shell wll not be started

If I make ctrl D it started GRUB with a list of possibility for the reboot. I've tried all the possility, included all the recovery mode but none of them works, it goes on giving me the same error.
    I've tried to make a live cd and reboot form it, but doesn't work.....the cd runs but nothing happens and it goes on with the same loop.
    Anybody can help me?? Thanx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Update from natty narwhal to 12.04 failed....can't reboot!

So, when you try the recovery mode, does it show like a menu to select what you want to do (after the language selection)? Or it doesn't even get that far?
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Beans

Arrow Re: Update from natty narwhal to 12.04 failed....can't reboot!

Quote Originally Posted by Nostronna View Post
    Hello,
    I have a notebook dell xps m1330. Originally powerd with windows vista. With a lot of difficulties i get rid of vista and I've installed ubuntu 11 natty narwhal.
    I was very happy, was working very well, but I yesterday I decided to update to the 12.04 release. I've proceeded with the normal updating procedure but during the installation of the updates, it get stuck, stop there for half a day and then the computer shut off by itself.
    Now when I try to reboot it tells me

/lib/x86_64-Linux-gnu/Libc.50.6: version 'GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /lib/libply.50.2)
    General error mounting file system
    A maintenance shell wll not be started

If I make ctrl D it started GRUB with a list of possibility for the reboot. I've tried all the possility, included all the recovery mode but none of them works, it goes on giving me the same error.
    I've tried to make a live cd and reboot form it, but doesn't work.....the cd runs but nothing happens and it goes on with the same loop.
    Anybody can help me?? Thanx
    I have the same problem and I tried all different tactics of making live USB but nothing worked. I need my files.

Beans

Please somebody help us out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ari gold View Post
    Please somebody help us out.
    No problem, start your own thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

same thing here. My friend did not make a back-up of his files. How do I fix this while saving the files somehow - when I access them through a boot from a USB stick, I can't do anythign because they are 'read-only.'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kmir View Post
    same thing here. My friend did not make a back-up of his files. How do I fix this while saving the files somehow - when I access them through a boot from a USB stick, I can't do anythign because they are 'read-only.'
    I don't know if I understand your problem right, but maybe there is a solution in post #14.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1980839&page=2

Keep in mind to change the part dev/sda7 to the part where you have your operating system installed.
    Last edited by GreatDanton; May 21st, 2012 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Typing mistake

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A QUANTAL QUETZAL IS...BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE PRETZEL AND I LIKE PRETZEL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Making a live cd or live usb and booting your computer with it has nothing to do with failure of the upgrade process.

Your computer should always be able to boot from the cd or usb. And in most cases, the files on the hdd are not read-only when you are running in live mode.

Besides, read-only does allow you to copy all files to a backup location, if you never made a current backup before the upgrade.

One of the things you could try to save the installation is running fsck on the root partition from live mode. But for that you need to boot into live mode and do NOT mount the root partition. And you need to know which one is it. For example, if it's sda5, in terminal in live mode you would try:

sudo fsck /dev/sda5

Another option is entering your installation with chroot and trying:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a

to try to finish the configuration of all packages that are still waiting to be configured when the upgrade got stuck.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    So, when you try the recovery mode, does it show like a menu to select what you want to do (after the language selection)? Or it doesn't even get that far?
    Hi Darko and thank you for your help.
    No, it doesn't even go that far....all I can obtain is a menu of GRUB with a list of configuration to try, starting from Ubuntu with Linux 3.0.0-20 to other previous Linux version, included different recovery mode, but none of them works, they all come back to the same point and give me the same error....
    For the other solution you gave....I can't run a live cd I don't know why and I don't know what a cheroot is....sorry I'm quite new on ubuntu!

Beans

Ok, I've got a little improvement... From GRUB menu I can run "Ubuntu with Linux 3.0.9-20 generic" in recovery mode.
    If I do that, it come out a "recovery menu" where I have the following options:
    Resume - resume to normal boot
    Clean -try to make new space
    Dpkg - repair broken packages
    Failsafex - run in failsafegrafic mode
    Fsck - check all file system
    Grub - update grub boot loader
    Network - enable networking
    Root - drop to root shell prompt
    System summary - system summary

I've tried "resume" but doesn't work...it come back again to wthe same error.
    I've tried dpkg and then reboot but no luck, same result
    I've tried Failsafex but still no result

What else can I do?????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast